Dad diagnosed with Peritoneal Mesothelioma

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hello - Six months ago, my dad was diagnosed with Peritoneal Mesothelioma at the age of 80. It has been a really hard 6 months, as he has also endured other complications, one being a massive bleeding ulcer that almost killed him.

He has lost 50 lbs and is extremely fragile. I am so desperate to get insights from others as he went through chemotherapy and he is considered stable. The Dr. said that while this cancer is never in remission, he is in what he calls "partial remission". You would think that this would be the best news ever, but despite this, he is declining quick. He is struggling to eat, every time he tries to eat he gags and can not eat much or seem to get it down - he is lucky to get 500 calories a day for the last 2 weeks. It is really scaring all of us because we know it is dangerous and could be the very thing that takes him down.

He recently had an obstruction in his bowel and we thought that was the reason eating was such a struggle, but even after coming home, he is still struggling to get anything down. Not to add, he has no desire to eat.

Does anyone have any ideas what more might be going on or have personally experienced this or a family member has? We feel like we are at such a loss. It is like a cruel joke to think that the chemo is working, yet he is still declining due to not being able to eat. He has already told us that he will not do a feeding tube.

This is a terrible cancer that turns families and lives upside down. I am sorry for all that have been given this diagnosis and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear that despite your dad's cancer being stable he is struggling to eat. Are his team aware of this as they might be able to help?

Many people experience eating problems when they have cancer so you might find this information that Macmillan have produced helpful.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I was diagnosed with peritoneal mesothelioma 7 years ago had all my stomach lining removed I also had bowel problems after but that corrected itself. It’s not a nice thing to go through I will never get the all clear but am normal in myself