Just diagnosed

• 12 replies
  • 78 subscribers

Hi, I was diagnosed yesterday after having a mole removed from my shoulder. It has been diagnosed as a 1.1 breslow thickness melanoma and to say I'm terrified is an understatement! I am now waiting to have more skin removed from the site and to have a biopsy on a lymph node in my armpit. 

• Hello Sillymoo. It always feels strange seeing written, welcome to the group as nobody really wants to be here, however welcome. I'm a little further down the line to you, I'm booked in to have my WLE and SLNB next Tue n Wednesday and I'm trying not to worry, but it's very difficult as it's constantly in the back of your mind. There are lots of really helpful people on the forum, who have a lot of experience in what's to come, you won't feel alone. I've posted a few questions and had some reassuring answers. I will let you know how my surgery goes next week. My mole was on the bottom of my leg, so my nodes will come from my groin. It's been a rollercoaster few months and to think I didn't even go to the gp about the mole, only mentioned it as ai was leaving. If you haven't, please share your journey on your profile page, it will help others going through similar help you. Stay strong and as positive as you can, you've got this. X

1. Thanks SoulyBoo. Yes please let me know how you get on next week. 
    2. I am having a support meeting next week at the unit in our local hospital so hopefully that will change my perspective on everything. Xx
  • Im awaiting biopsies . Its such a stressful time. 

• Hi Dawn1001, 

It really is. I am really struggling to deal with it. Have chatted online via here today and I'm seeing a therapist at my local hospital on Tuesday pm but my anxiety is through the roof xx

• I feel exactly like you do. I went to my marie curie centre and spoke to a clinical nurse there which helped. You just walk in. Stay off google as it makes you spiral. I think a 1.1 grading from biopsie is optimistic so hang in there.

• Yep I learnt with my heart failure diagnosis not to Google! The nurse I spoke to today via online chat has made me a bit more positive but I'm still terrified!

May I ask what your diagnosis is? Xx

• Unsure yet more biopsies being done. Worried it was there to long. Got constant sore legs nust now and worrying its all related. Awful place for all of us to be in

• Please try and remain positive. 

I have become paranoid that every little niggle I feel is connected but after speaking to the nurse on here apparently that is quite a common reaction.

Sending you lots of positive vibes

• Hi. I was diagnosed 16/08 melanoma and going for wle on Saturday with skin graft as on the top of my foot. I’m so scared too and the wait then to see if cancer also in the tissue they remove. How are you now?

• Hello!

Try not to worry -- my breslow was  4 -- a lot higher than yours -- and I'm still hanging on in there (only with my fingertips though!). 

I had 24 armpit lymph nodes removed. If they say you are only having a biopsy on one it may be just to make sure all is ok.

Seriously, you will hopefully have a good outcome and I don't think you should worry too much. If you do need immunotherapy it is very effective.