Just starting my treatment journey

• 1 reply
  • 74 subscribers

Hello

I am new to the group although sadly not new to cancer. 

I was diagnosed with a malignant melanoma on my right arm back in 2013. Following a wide excision and SLNB it was confirmed that it had spread to my lymph nodes. I opted for a complete lymph node clearance of my right axillary and after a short adjustment period and some physio I have been lucky to have spent the last 10 years cancer and symptom free.

In April this year I had a superficial tumour removed from my bladder. Histology confirmed this as melanoma and after a PET scan a further lesion has been found on my right scapula. I am awaiting an MRI of my head and liver to rule out further metastatic spread. Looking down the barrel of surgery and/or immunotherapy. 

Despite some scary times ahead of me I feel positive and strong to tackle whatever cancer wants to throw at me. I have a fantastic support network of loved ones, friends and work colleagues. 

I wanted to post this as a new member group as a story of hope to those with newly diagnosed melanoma. You still have many happy years ahead of you. Take each step as it comes and try not to fall down the rabbit hole of thinking three steps ahead. Nothing has happened until it happens so there's no point worrying about it.

I have read some amazing stories of courage from people with stage 4 melanoma in a similar situation to myself and it has given me strength that I have got this and I still have an amazing life ahead of me. 

Thank you to   for your reply and for encouraging me to post.

Stay strong all

X

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the melanoma group which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that after being cancer free for 10 years the melanoma has reappeared. However, it's great that you've taken the time to share your experiences, and I'm sure newly diagnosed members will take great comfort from reading about them.

It would be great if you could pop something about about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"