Hi new to the group and just been diagnosed

• 4 replies
  • 75 subscribers

Hi everyone

ive just been diagnosed with a Melanoma on my toe after having a biopsy. I’ve just seen the plastic surgeon and I’m now waiting for surgery to amputate my toe and part of my foot. They are also going to be doing lymph node biopsies at the same time. 
It’s slowly starting to sink in, but it didn’t seem real when I heard the words cancer. I’ve now a 4-6 week wait for surgery which is horrible as I’m finding it hard to focus on anything else, I just want it all to be over and start on the road to recovery. 
I’m 49 years old, recently separated after 23 year, now got my own house with my 2 daughters who are 20 & 17. As you can imagine I’m petrified for them especially as I’ve lost my own mum. 
I’m a veterinary nurse but now have a small dog walking company so I need my feet for my job and this could put me out of work for a while. Being self employed, it’s going to be hard! 
just wondered if anyone else had been through a melanoma on their toe and been through an amputation? 
many thanks 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that after you've been diagnosed with melanoma you need to have your toe and part of your foot amputated and I can understand that this would be very hard to come to terms with.

I don't have the experience you're looking for so have searched the group and found that  is the most recent person to post about having their toe amputated. I have 'tagged' them into my reply to you and hope they'll pop on to share their experience with you.

While you're waiting for them to reply, it would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi  Figi 2

Welcome to the group and its great youve reached out.  

Yes I had my toe amputated in late December after being diagnosed with melanoma after a biopsy on a mole on my toe.  I know exactly how you are feeling as it also turned my world upside down just before Christmas.  You never think its going to happen to you.  Not sure where you live in the country but my NHS hospital was fantastic and it all moved pretty quick. I also had 2 lymph nodes out in the groin. My care was transferred to a local Cancer Centre where I also received support from McMillan who again were fantastic.   

I now take tablets every day and am regularly monitored with scans, blood tests and appointments.   I was a runner (well jogger!) before all this and I was gutted that losing my toe would put me out of action for a while.  I am now back running and will be doing the Race4life on Saturday with my family.  I am also now back at work. Be patient you will get there and dog walking as soon as you can will probably help aid your recovery. Hope all goes well. Let us know how you are getting on  x

• Hi Jewell

thank you so much for your reply, you have made me feel much more positive. I actually started running in lockdown and I’m really surprised how much I enjoy it as I never thought it would be for me. But you certainly get the bug!! So not being able to run was also one of my concerns. 
    Things now seem to be moving in the right direction, I’m in Essex and my surgery will be in Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford. 
    If you don’t mind me asking how long was your recovery period? How long until you were walking/ driving? How do you manage with footwear? 
    sorry for all the questions but it helps so much talking to someone that has been through the same thing 

xx

• Hi

Im glad things are moving in the right direction. 

I hobbled around for 2 weeks as necessary and then had my stitches out 2 weeks to the day. I am fortunate that my husband was around to do everything so I didnt have to as they tell you to rest as much as possible so I was in no rush to start driving again although I thought I better had at 9 weeks! (Although I could have done earlier I was enjoying being chauffeured around!) I went back to work on a phased return at 8 weeks.   My work have been great which has really helped and even now 5 months on I am still only doing part time! which I am making the most of ! 

When i was discharged from hospital after the op they gave me a surgery shoe (not sexy at all) but was perfect and I lived in it for a very long time! 

Glad I can help.  Take care and good luck  xx