Could possibly be Melanoma?

• 2 replies
  • 75 subscribers

Hi everyone, I hope you're all having a nice Friday Purple heart

My name is Aara and I am 31 years old (had to think about that for a second Joy). I have many moles on my body and have them checked every year. At one of my screenings in 2019 I noticed a new Mole appeared. Irregular shape and pigmentation so they arranged a Dermoscopic examination but came to the conclusion that no further action is needed at the moment. They identified it as Melanocytic Lesion, Benign Naevus. Just to be clear this was through images they took, no biopsy was done.

Fast forward to 2023 and my sister noticed that it's gone bigger. I examined it myself and noticed its gone bigger, darker, and changed shape. I decided to enquire and requested a follow up. Today the nurse who examined it agreed and said it has changed (by looking at previous images). She'd sent images off to have it reviewed by a dermatologist. I should have news by next Thursday to discuss the results and if any action needs to be taken. 

I guess the reason to why I am concerned is because last time I was told not to worry about it at all as they don't suspect but best to double check. This time round she's not outright said they suspect it but didn't give much else information or any kind of reassurance. 

I'm not sure what I'm expecting from responses, think it's more of me kind of expressing how I feel about this. My sister was diagnosed Leukaemia in 2016 and it was tragic and hard to deal with. I don't really want to talk to my family about this as I don't want them to worry. I know my body and feel like somethings not right. 

There is a possibility that it may not be Melanoma but I just have this gut feeling, whilst analysing the changes. It's not normal for 'normal' moles to change like that?. But maybe there is the chance that it's not Melanoma. I don't know! 

I'm sorry, I know this community is more around people who have been diagnosed or waiting for a results etc so I wanted to apologise if I sound like I am going on about something which hasn't been confirmed. I just wanted to say I absolutely love Macmillan, for all they have done for my sister, family and everyone else. 

• Hi  

Sorry to hear about your sister and totally understand your worries now, not my experience with cancer so cannot really say but did find this article that notes even benign changes.

The good news is that you have kept an eye on things and that you have sought advice. Waiting for the answers though is always hard and we can all emphasis with that.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi aaraxo, please don't worry about whether or not you should post on here. You can.  

You must be so worried right now and anxiety levels are going to be high at this time whilst investigations are beginning.  Sorry to hear about your sister having leukemia, I guess that supporting her has given you an insight into cancer and treatments which not everyone has.  Moles can change and the good thing is that you had your eye on this one and you followed through. I can't say don't worry as I was in the same position once having tried for a year to get my changing and fast growing mole taken seriously. If you can distract yourself and keep busy the time will go faster and maybe you'll worry less.   Take care x