New

• 9 replies
  • 76 subscribers

Hi i new to this and to the group. In Feb I was diagnosed with stage 2A melanoma. I have soon to get my wide level excision done and my lymph node on my groan as the mole was on the back of my leg 

• Hi  and welcome to the group, although I'd rather have met you under different circumstances!

My lesion was on my arm but there are plenty of people in the group who have had a wide local excision (WLE) on their leg and a sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) in their groin. Hopefully, they'll pop on and share their experiences with you.

My WLE and SLNB were on my arm and armpit, so although in a different place, the operations will be pretty similar. I'm happy to share my experiences if you want to ask anything.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Cewing, 

welcome to the group, sorry to hear about your diagnosis, you will read of so many different things on here but think positive and you will be ok. I’ve just had a Groin dissection operation on Feb 6th so still recovering from everything. Mine did involve the removal of a tumour with 2 smaller lumps attached to tumour which was on my lymph nodes. They also removed a handful of nodes. Lots of stitches and discomfort but now healing good. I will warn you if you end up with a few stitches along your groin area…..rest well and don’t throw your leg around. Opening the wound doesn’t help. Split mine open and suffered for it. 
    The whole team I had have been fantastic so I would expect you to receive the same treatment from where you live.

I’ve had 2 WLW’s on my flank before under local anaesthetic and they’ve just removed another 2 lumps at same time as groin op. My mindset is humour and have a laugh with surgeons nurses etc because it relaxes me and them and helps take your mind off things. Everyone is different but I feel it helps. Stay positive and strong. Read some of the other stories on the forum, it amazes me what others have gone thru, truly inspiring.

Hope this helps. Sorry it’s a long read. 

• Hi  and   thank you both so much. I do have a couple of questions. How long did it take for you to recover? And how long was the operation? 
  • Hi, 

the operation took roughly 3 hours but bare in mind they had 2 areas they had to work on, I would say just a groin op would be 2 hours. Have they said your under general anaesthetic?

recovery is 4-6/weeks, I wasn’t allowed to drive for 4 weeks, very difficult to get in and out a car with a large scar along your groin area. Im now on week 6 tomorrow but will be taking a bit longer as I split my wound open and infected it. I’m a truck driver si it’s going to be awkward to start with but it might be different if your office based. Everyone is different. 
    hope this helps. 

•    yes they have said it will be under general anaesthetic and my fear is my little one bumps into by mistake as she's the perfect hight to do so as she does know mummy's has cancer as she's only 6 

• All I can suggest is be extra careful and maybe come up with a cushion in front of your area. You may possibly come out of hospital with a couple of drain tubes and bottles for the fluids from your groin. My levels took 3 weeks to lower before removal. Let me know if you do have them as I had a bag made by a nurse so mine were discrete. 
    this last operation was my 5th so a dab hand at this now. 

•   thanks so much I don't know if I will have tubes or that when I come out Hopefully not. If I do are they uncomfortable to sleep with 

• Have they had the discussion on what happens with the operation yet?

I was told at my first consultation with the department. Mine was Plastic Surgery. Mine was on the left hand side groin area so tubes came out of the top of my left thigh. You have to think about what you’re doing. Mind set to sleep on your right or back but not on left hand side. Don’t jump out of bed and don’t drop bottles. Very awkward but got used to them after a while. 

• Hi there I have had a wide leg excision and sentinel lymph node biopsy on my groin. My mole was on my right calf about half way down. This was done back in November last year. I was pleased that the experience was as good as could be expected and once you come to terms with the mark in your leg you will be fine. But I do struggle with my mental health now as I was off work for 4 weeks and feel very much on the back foot and query my knowledge with my job. The operation though and aftercare is excellent Thumbsup