Massive groin swelling after SLNB

• 9 replies
  • 77 subscribers

Hi everyone, I had WLE and sentinel lymph node biopsies performed over two weeks ago. My armpit is healing nicely but my groin had a large, painful swelling (about the size of half an avocado!) It’s not red or hot and it’s not squishy like a seroma might be but hard. My surgeon removed a chain of 3 lymph nodes- is this kind of swelling normal? J

• Hi  

I had my SLNB from my armpit and did have some local swelling when I was first operated on but not how you describe.

As you have "a large, painful swelling" in the area that you had a SLNB, I think you should contact your hospital team today so that they can arrange to assess you if necessary.

When you have a minute, it would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Let us know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Jack

i had lymph nodes removed from my groin after surgery in March 2022 and like you had a large hard swelling. My district nurse sent me back to the plastics clinic  who drained the fluid which relieved the pressure.. As latchbrook suggests Inthink you definitely need to contact your clinic ASAP.

Hope this helps. Good luck x

• Jack I had two lymph nodes removed from my groin, and had no swelling whatsoever.  Call your cancer nurse/ GP/ consultant ASAP and get checked over? You have nothing to lose and everything to gain, even if it only turns out to be peace of mind.

Take care

Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and find it!

• Hi, I hope you’re all sorted now always best to speak advice from the surgeon. I had a WLE and SLNB just over 5 weeks ago in my groin I had hard lumps surrounding the site which were soooo painfulFingers crossed tone3rned out to be trapped nerves and fat necrosis. My body sorted it all out itself I didn’t need anything drained. I’m still a little tender in areas now 5 weeks on but it depends on how quickly youFingers crossed tone3l. I’ve heard some can take months to heal. I hope your results are ok and you get them soon enough Fingers crossed tone3

• Dear Dicksie!

Thanks for your reply, I did go and see the nurse at the dressings clinic and she had a good old prod at me- she felt that there wasn’t a collection to be drained, but that, as I’d had a chain of nodes removed, that there would be considerable swelling. 

I have a review on Tuesday. Thanks for your advice. J

• Dear Chiron,

wow I didn’t realise it could take so long! Thanks for your advice, I will try to be a bit more patient! Grin Hope you’re feeling better xx

jack

• Thanks Sailor2,

I got checked out and had my mind put at rest. I think I just have to be patient l. Thank you x

Jack

• Hi Jack, I had this also it was huge. It wasn't giving me any bother until they started trying to drain it. I had it drained multiple times but it kept coming back straight away. I ended up with quite a nasty infection. If it's not red, inflamed or sore I would just be patient. Mine eventually did go away and I'm well healed now.

• Thank you Clayoh,

Thanks for your advice, and yes, I think patience is the key. I was at the dressing clinic a few days ago (for my WLE wound) and the nurse suggested that I gently massage my groin with E45 or suchlike. I hadn’t even been touching it, but since I’ve been doing gentle massage twice a day, I think it’s beginning to subside. It’s hard to say, early days. 

You sound like you had a bit of an ordeal with yours! 

Thanks again. Jack x