Wle and skin graft

• 4 replies
  • 74 subscribers

Hi all,

going in hospital for wle belown knee and just above ankle may need a skin graft , any one else had any experience with this n how long off your feet and recovery time . 
thanks 

• Hi Cruzey

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I hope you get a date soon for your surgery as I know the waiting can be horrendous.  

I had WLE end of March. Original melanoma was on outside of ankle. Originally they were going to do skin graft but then on the day the surgeon decided to do a skin flap instead. I think it was because after this you can be more mobile than a graft. 

I still had a huge bandage up to my knee but was told to mobilise, which was difficult at first as it was was painful at the back of my leg. Once the bandage came off it was easier. Healed well, I had the bandage on for a week and then dressings for another week. Was a shock to see the scar as it runs right round the back of my leg half way up my calf and looks a bit like a shark bite! But it's gradually fading and doesn't bother me too much now. I gradually built up walking and was back running again after 6 weeks. I was scared of knocking I as I'm a bit clumsy!  know you have to be really careful if you have a graft so your recovery might be different. 

Fingers  crossed you get on OK and recover quickly.

Alison 

• Thankyou for ur kind words , I am going in hospital 21st dec to have wle hope I don’t need a skin graft but on the plus side more rest for Xmas x

• I had a WLE on my left lower leg about 3 inches above my ankle at the beginning of October, which required a skin graft. In my case I was initially asked to keep immobile and leg elevated for 2 weeks which was extended to 3. I could get up and about in short stints but that was about it. I was asked not to drive for 3 weeks also. When it was done leg was bandaged up to above my knee. Only had mild pain for a couple of days. I didn’t get to see the wound until the 1 week check where they removed the dressings and the staples used to secure some sponge which I think was to apply even pressure to the graft. I’ll be honest, it was a bit of a shock to see it initially as it was a 2.5 inch circular hole that was initially pretty deep. It’s filled in a bit now but it is still taking a bit of getting used to. I dont have any feeling where the graft is and I’ve still got a couple of scabby bits in the wound even now. Oddly the most painful part was the graft donor site on my thigh (I also had an SLNB from my groin at the same time as the WLE)