Just wanted to say hello

• 4 replies
  • 75 subscribers

Hey everyone, 

I’ve now had two surgeries to remove a dodgy mole (or melanoma). I’m struggling at the moment with the appearance as it’s my neck and every time I look in the mirror I see the scar.  I was wondering how other people deal with this?  At the moment I am wearing a scarf all the time, which is fine as it’s it’s cooler but it would look a bit odd in a the summer (as it did for me after my first surgery).

love to everyone xx

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

As my melanoma was on my upper arm it was much easier for me to keep it covered in the early days when I felt it was really noticeable. However, it soon seemed to calm down and now it's hardly noticeable. You might find that by the time the warmer weather comes around again your scar will have faded so much that you no longer notice it. 

Obviously you need to keep it protected from the sun, as new skin is very susceptible to sun damage, but a good broad brimmed hat along with a collared top should help with that.

It would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I get this - I have a 5cm scar on my thigh where my melanoma was removed in September and some days when Im feeling okay it sets me back again when I see it. No advice really, it’s a war wound I guess and we’re here to beat this! It’s a reminder of how brave we are. X

• Hi Midnight, 

hope you’re doing ok.  

i have a 6cm scar that runs down the (almost) centre of my neck. I still can’t move my head fluidly left to right as it’s so sensitive.  But it’s healing and the surgeon seemed pleased with the way it looked. 

I totally hear you. When you look in the mirror or catch a glimpse you revisit everything even though the worst is likely over (for the moment at least).

I’m a 48 yr old single mum and at first my son (aged 11) wouldn’t even look at me although he is better now. But it didn’t help with me being ‘aware’ of the way i now look.

I’ve asked for a nice scarf for Christmas but I’m hoping it won’t look so angry and ‘in my face’ over time.

Hope you’re recovering well x

• Yes it’s shit isn’t it Hushed Yes mine was a bit gross whilst it had the stitches in and it’s pretty neat now but they are still like oooh mama that looks sore. My girls are 12 and 7. You’re all so brave x