excision biopsy after an earlier incision biopsy (only a partial removal)

• 2 replies
  • 74 subscribers

Hello

I had an incision biopsy in a hospital (removing only a small part of my lesion) a couple of weeks ago and the results came back positive with a diagnosis of cutaneous malignant melanoma with at least pT1b (the thickness is 0.9mm and mitotic index is 1mm2 but the measurements were hampered by the disrupted sections as it was only an incision biopsy and not a full removal). I'm now due to have a removal of the whole lesion this Friday so that the WLE can be considered based on full results.

Has anybody had any experience with an incision biopsy followed by a full removal (and then the WLE)?  I feel rather anxious how the results of the two biopsies get "put together" for interpretation.  Also, I'm being referred to another hospital for further steps (WLE etc) so after the full removal/excision on Friday I will only see this dermatologist to find out the results.  Again, any experiences of changing hospitals 'mid flight'?

Feeling rather helpless...

Thank you.

• I had the same pattern and all steps split between 2 hospitals in the same health authority as consultants work in both hospitals. The cancer nurses have been very supportive and my main point of contact.  They have chased and clarified what was happening.  I hope you find the same. Their support has really helped me. 

• Hi

I was referred to different hospital for WLE after mole removal. Consultant advised speed is the essence so it was reassuring to proceed with next appointment quicky. Both consultants really helpful and informative. The Macmillan nurses have been incredibly supportive and helpful to me, asking how they can support me, finding out next appointment dates, and offering emotional support. Be kind to yourself, ask family and friends to support you, and contact Macmillan nurses.