Hello! Recently diagnosed

• 4 replies
  • 74 subscribers

I've just joined and read a lot of posts, thanks to everyone who's replying and providing so much support and information to others.

I had my melanoma removed by the dermatologist as soon as she saw it. I'd gone private as was told it was a non cancerous wart on the back of my thigh which was catching, bleeding and getting more painful. I'm super lucky I was privileged enough to be able to self fund this.

I'm now booked in for a WLE (to make sure it was all removed) and an SLNB on 21st.   As it's in my leg I assume it'll be some of the lymph nodes in the groin that get removed, has anyone got experience of the recovery for this? I've seen a lot about arm pits but not much about groins.

I agree with everyone on here, the waits are the worst part. Initially I was indifferent when I found out (maybe denial) but the more it goes on the more it eats away and the aches and pains of the last 12 months challenge your positive outlook. 

Keep up the great support on the forums and good luck and stay positive to everyone out there going through similar 

• Hi JustABloke and welcome to this forum.  We are a supportive lot on here definitely, no question too silly and there's always someone who's been through similar treatments to you. 

I'm an armpit SLNB person myself but there are plenty of groin SLNB people on here.  If you enter "groin SLNB" into the search icon you may find others named who've had groin dissections and can direct approach them if no one replies to this thread.   It is definitely different to have a groin SLNB from what I've read and often a different recovery rate. Hopefully you'll just have the sentinel node removed plus a few others (Full removal is very uncommon nowadays) so post op recovery can be easier. 

No one will judge you for going private so don't apologise,  it doesn't matter who cut it out, the diagnosis remains the same for us all and that itself remains very scary for all of us hon.  

Take care, good luck for your operation and let us know how you got on.

X

• Had WLE on heel and biopsy in groin 3 weeks ago today.   Back to walking short distances a few days ago and groin and donor site  well healed. The wait for results is hard but at least can now get out and about. Good luck with your op. 

• Thanks Albobs.  All the best with the results and great to hear you're up and about now.