Newly diagnosed and at the start of this scary journey

• 7 replies
  • 76 subscribers

Good morning I was given the diagnosis that I have melanoma 4 days ago after a biopsy at the end of July on a suspicious looking mole I’d noticed in March. To say I am in shock is an understatement, next step is waiting for an appointment for excision and grading. I am due to fly to Spain in 2 weeks for 8 days and still really want to go as my husband and I really need a break do you think from a practical point of view we should still go ? 
The hospital is aware of dates so procedure will either be before or after, it’s my sisters house in Spain so can please ourselves what we do. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

Although it's nearly 6 years ago since I was diagnosed with melanoma, I can still well remember how shocked I felt. 

A holiday to Spain sounds like a lovely idea but I can understand why you want to know how practical it is. You haven't said where on your body the melanoma was or if you're having a sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) as well as the wide local excision (WLE). This will probably have a bearing on how comfortable you'll feel if you have these operations before you go. 

One thing it's important to do is to advise your travel insurance company of your diagnosis. Unfortunately, they may increase your premium or even decline to continue to insure you. If you do have problems with insurance, then I'd recommend that you join us over in the travel insurance group where you'll find plenty of recommendations from others who have successfully got travel insurance after a cancer diagnosis. The link I've created will take you straight there where you can join in the same way as you did here.

It would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you for your reply x 

it is just under my knee on my right leg. I’ll update my profile Thumbsup I’m just learning to navigate my way around there’s lots of support and advice I’m so glad I joined. I’ll pop over to the insurance group thank you for the link x

• Hi 

When the surgeon does the WLE they will take a further 1-2cm all the way around the original biopsy site. Mine was on my arm and was sore and uncomfortable for a few days after. However, I was lucky and there was enough skin to close the wound without needing a skin graft. Also depending on how near to your knee it is it might mean bending your knee is uncomfortable.

I think your best bet is to talk to your SCNS about whether it'll be practical to go away on holiday after the op or not. Of course they might not be able to fit you in between now and when you go away so it might be academic.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• We had a holiday in Lanzarote 3days after my mole was removed. It was 1cm in diameter so not as large as  WLE. It’s on my ankle so was uncomfortable to walk over any distance. The journey through the airport was the worst - you don’t realise how much you walk and are on your feet when travelling! I was utterly miserable by the time we arrived. However, I took some books and sat in the shade and enjoyed watching my family taking part in things. I think being away helped and was worth the discomfort of the journey. I just took plenty of dressings with me. 

if you’re staying with family, there’s no pressure to do anything and  it might be good to get that change of scenery. 

• thanks for this sorry I didn’t reply earlier I have been working out how to see replies, we are now thinking about going on holiday but not sure how long to wait, airports are not good at the best of times but I have got a wound on each leg so think I will wait a bit longer as I have to wait for further results.

• I think getting away would do you the world of good, but just when you’re comfortable with the travelling. Having a wound on both legs makes it difficult for sure - especially lower leg! 
    You could perhaps time it for after you’ve healed a bit more, but before your results? I’ve been told it’ll be an 8 week wait for results to come through. A trip might make a week off that waiting time disappear a bit quicker!

• Yes we had a chat last night and decided to wait until results come back we can always go another time but fingers crossed our results come quick and then we can arrange.