Pre op

• 9 replies
  • 75 subscribers

Good morning forum.

Do you always go for a pre op assessment when you are just having a skin biopsy. 
when I had my last biopsy privately, pretty sure I didn’t have to go for assessment.

regards 

andrew

• Hi Andrew. I didn’t need a pre op before my biopsy. They give you local anaesthetic mainly for mole biopsies. 

• Hi there, 

No, I didn't have pre assessment for primary biopsy that removed the mole. It was done then and there after seeing the dermatologist, so only routine questions asked regarding my general health, but no blood test etc. I had preops done before the WLE. 

• Yes ,when I went private I only answered general health questions. Maybe because I’m having it in hospital they have to do a pre op.

Andrew 
  • I am havin an excision biopsy 

Andrew 
  • Hi Andrew. I had an excision biopsy through the nhs. I only answered a couple of questions about any medication I was taking. No bloods etc were needed. You could always ring the dermatology dept where you’re having the excision and ask them what the pre op involves. 

• Hi Andrew, 

I had pre-op bloods, covid and mrsa screen swabs test, temperature, blood pressure checks and leg measurements (for compression shocking) and a general health questionnaire before wide local excision biopsy (after first biopsy result turned out to be melanoma) was done at my NHS hospital.

All hospitals might have different local policies, for patients that go for day surgery. Also depending if they have local or general anesthesia. 

• Thanks , that makes sense . Having pre op next week , but have to wait a few months for biopsy as there is a waiting list.

regards 

Andrew

Andrew 
  • had pre op for previous wle, as far as I’m aware it just a local on mole on abdomen. PlAstic surgeon just said the words irregular after dermascope . Didn’t mention melonoma but strange that he wants to do excision.

regards 

andrew

Andrew 
  • Hi Andrew. I think sometimes they still do an excision if it’s atypical just to make sure. Good luck!