Recently diagnosed

• 4 replies
  • 74 subscribers

Hi I’m new to this just diagnosed with melanoma after a mole was removed in august. Now waiting for a date for my WLE and SLNB have to admit it’s a massive shock and I’m scared. My main concern if I’m honest is as a larger lady if I don’t wake up from the anesthetic I’m terrified, even started putting my affairs in order. Thank you for reading

• Hi Calsmam, 

Sorry to hear about diagnosis. 

I was diagnosed with stage 1 melanoma in August too. I was quite worried about anaesthetics aspects, as I never had any surgery before. 

I had my WLE and SLNB 10 days ago and anaesthetic consultant went through details on the day of the surgery and it all went exactly as she said. I had the most pleasant experience I must say, one minute I was talking to her and they put a warm blanket on me and the next I woke up in another room with a nurse sitting beside me and operation was done.

It's not easy not to worry, about these things but I try to remember that operation team will assess everything beforehand, they know what they are doing and they do it every day,so try to stay positive. 

• Hi Elmyra

Thank you for your reply much appreciated. 
    How do you feel after your surgery?

• I am feeling Ok thanks, bit discomfort around the wound, walking slower than usual but otherwise all back to normal.

Hope you get some answers to your worries soon.