New Diagnosis

• 3 replies
  • 74 subscribers

Hello, my names Rachel, I’m 34 and I’ve recently been diagnosed with Melanoma.  I came away from my initial diagnosis feeling rather optimistic, but now I can’t help but fear the worst, I’ve got myself tied up in knots that I won’t see my children grow up. 

I’m awaiting the date for my WLE and skin graft and I’m dreading getting the results.  The surgeon at diagnosis stated that my melanoma was 0.9mm and I was initially reassured as he gave me a five year plan but now I can’t get out of my head that when the WLE comes back I’m going to have some spread. 

I don’t really know what I want from this post, other than a little bit of reassurance from people that have experienced melanoma, not just the worst that I’ve read on the internet that is scaring me half to death.

• Honestly I totally understand where you are coming from. The internet had my head in a total Spin but it’s so hard not to turn to google. 
    you are Welcome to click on my name and read my story , like you terrified and believing i wouldn’t see my kids grow up. The words skin cancer were never words i thought I would hear x 

• Thank you for your reply. My GP felt it was probably nothing but sent me to dermatology to be on the safe side. When I was seen at dermatology they offered me the chance to leave it and go back in 3 months. I’m pleased I opted to have it removed there and then. 
    I know I have the depth of the tumour in my favour and I did feel reasonably reassured but I’ve got myself in a rut and can’t seem to get out of it. My eldest is only 8 and I have 3 year old twins and it’s killing me what lies ahead. 
    Thank you for allowing me to read your story. I hope you continue to receive positive results! 

• Positive thoughts for your WLE and no mention of a SLNB needing done sounds very positive x