A question regarding treatment

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 73 subscribers

Hi,

Im new here. My name's kath. My dad's been told he has melanoma and has started treatment. But, I'm a little confused...(I don't live near dad, so can't attend any appointments with him by the way. )

He's going to be having immunotherapy on Monday for the first time, then again on  the 28th of July and the final one on the 2nd of August. This week, he's been having another treatment on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, which he'll have again next week on the same days. He has this treatment, then he's to wait at the hospital for 4hrs after it. 

My question Is this... my dad's saying the treatment on Monday, Wednesday and fridays is a "vaccination"...is it a vaccination or is it chemotherapy? Thanks in advance

• Hello , I’m sorry to hear about your Dad’s diagnosis and your slight confusion about his treatment. As you hadn’t had an answer yet I thought I might try and see how I might speed up an answer for you.

I am a melanoma patient but I am not familiar with the immunotherapy you are describing, the timings are different to the immunotherapy that I have been having. You mention the word vaccination and so I’m wondering if this is T vec a newer immunotherapy. 

I have seen 2 recent posts about T vec so I was wondering if might recognise the treatment you are describing, as she is starting it soon, or if the info in the link below might help.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/treatments-and-drugs/immunotherapy-for-melanoma

Chemotherapy isn’t the standard treatment for melanoma, but can sometimes be used after immunotherapy.

The other option for finding more information is ringing the Macmillan support line on 0808 808 0000 as they have nurses who might be able to ring you back with a general explanation. I receive letters after each of my appointments and on there is an explanation of my treatment plan and the treatment / drugs I am on. I was wondering if your Dad has something similar that he could talk through with you. 

Take care KT

• Hi Kath, I'm in the states and was able to be listed on my dad's medical record as a family contact. I was able to call his doctor's office for his medical info because dad usually couldn't describe what his treatments were for or what they were. Perhaps you could do that as some patients like the doctor to be in charge, and other patients or family want to collaborate with the medical team. My best to your dad!

Cindy

Melanoma Stage 4