Lympho Vascular invasion

• 50 replies
  • 59 subscribers

Hi all.

Not been on here for quite a while.

Hope everyone is doing ok.

Just a couple of things on a letter I received on Saturday from the Cristie in Manchester that mean nothing to me.

It was quite a long letter to my docs from the Christie after having my meeting with the plastic surgeon consultant on the 9th November.

I got told at the start of all this that I had superficial spreading melanoma, pt3a, stage 2a, none ulcerated, Braf positive, fully excised with clear margins.

These are some of the things said from the letter I received on Saturday that was sent to my doctor word for word as below :-

3.9mm beslow thickness melignant melanoma left medial thigh.
pT3a, Stage 2a with Lympho Vascular Invasion and mitotic rate 9mm2.
Completely excised 2.2mm peripheral margin and 4.1mm deep margin.

On examination there was a nicely healed scar on left medial thigh with no signs local or regional recurrence and no lymphadenopathy.

Plan including wide local excision with 2cm margin of the liaison to reduce the chance of the tumor recurrence a sentinel lymph node biopsy.

A nice lady on a forum said that Lympho Vascular Invasion meant it had reached the blood vessels or lymph vessels, so if that is the case doesn't that mean that it hasn't actually been completely excised with clear margins as it is in the blood or lymph vessels.

I am just thinking, with it reaching the blood vessels or lymph vessels it is being carried to the lymph nodes i.e like a river carrying a boat, if you know what I mean.

I have no idea what a mitotic rate 9mm2 means.

Also have no idea lymphadenopathy means ?

Can somebody please shed some light on these for me.

I know I am clutching at straws, but thought I was in with a slim chance it may have not reached the lymph nodes.

Thank you all 

Simon 

•   

Hi Simon

I can't help with what the expressions "Lympho Vascular Invasion and mitotic rate" mean as they weren't things that appeared on any medical documents I saw when I was diagnosed. You could post the question in the Ask a Nurse section of the online community or give your SCNS a call.

I've googled 'lymphadenopathy', and it means selling of your lymph nodes. So if your report says "no lymphadenopathy" that suggests that your lymph nodes weren't swollen when you saw whoever prepared the report.

Do you have a date yet for your WLE and SLNB?

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Latchbrook

Thank you for your reply 

I will ask the SCN tomorrow about the Lympho Vascular invasion.

My WLE and SLNB is on 8th December, I have the dye injected in to my thigh the day before at 2pm.

Got told today my Vitamin D levels were normal, I know it's not big news.

Hope everything is ok with you.

Thank you

Simon 

• Yes, I'm good thanks.

That's good news re your ops, as you don't have long to wait now, and you should be feeling fine by Christmas.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Latchbrook.

Good to hear you are ok.

Been told I can not drive for 2 to 3 weeks, not sure if that is the norm ?

I finish work on the 19th December for Xmas hols, so going to be a long break.

Would rather be in work though up the 19th, get bored at home.

Even though I feel quite a bit better about things I am still very anxious though Confused

Take care.

Simon x

Rotating light

• I was told the same about driving and to only drive once I felt that I would be able perform an emergency stop without it causing any pain.

I can understand that you feel you'd rather be at work than bored at home but maybe you could look into starting a hobby which would both fill your time and take your mind off things.

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Latchbrook.

The SCN told me I can not drive just in case I got a pain in my thigh, groin and I swerved and hit something, I would not be insured.

I said but I can use the automatic car we have as it is in my left thigh, but she said "no"

I live 20 miles from work very close to Warrington and travel to Rochdale.

I was going to ask the nurses etc but what if I get a lift or a taxi into work as I only sit behind a desk most of the day.

It's getting someone to pick me up and take me home, it would take well over an hour for someone to pick me up and take me home, so I think it would be a none starter.

I even thought about a taxi, but it would cost a fortune.

It's actually only 8 days I will be off, so my boss said don't worry about it.

Before my diagnosis on the 3 October I only had 2 days sick in over 25 years and I was really proud of that, now the mud has hit the fan with the amount of time I have had to take for appointments and now 8 days off.

I thought I would just be sitting at on the sofa not doing anything for 2 weeks or so, but the  SCN said at my pre-op said no you won't as you could get blood clots.

I aske can I still take our dog for a stroll and she said yes, can i still go to the pub with our son for an hour and she said yes as long as he drives (he has a coke and i have a blackcurrant cordial).

Also, my wife and me always go for lunch on a Saturday, I asked can I still do that and she said yes as long as my wife drives.

My SCN said they will go through all this with me on the date of the operation.

It sounds like as long as I don't exercise, go up ladders, strain myself, drive etc.

Very confusing.

Thank you Latchbrook.

Simon.

• Hi hope your surgery goes OK. I've started taking adjuvant therapy medication as mine was braf positive. Good luck.

• Hi there Miss Mole.

Sorry i am only just getting back to you, i have been having lots of trouble trying to log in :-(

How do you take adjuvant therapy medication and how does it help, i have no idea how all these things are taken or how long for. 

Somebody on another forum mentioned a drain when i have my WLE and SLNB on my groin, never heard of that either.

I really hope everything is going well for you.

Thank you.

Simon

• Hi drain is where they take lymph nodes out after surgery it's a small tube for fluid build up. I did not have one not everyone needs one. But I had 2 infection on slnb right groin site since surgery so if yours comes up red after surgery tell your nurse your get antibiotics first infection was 2 weeks after surgery then I had another one couple of months later its easily dealt with so don't worry to much dont want to scare you. I worried about surgery but it was fine. 

Mine was staged 3a braf positive which means I have adjuvant therapy which is for braf positive. You take to capsules twice a day and 1 tablet a day for a year its also for stage 4 to. I've been told it's a miracle medication. But it does come with side affects so far I have not had any. It helps to stop it coming back. So far all my scans are clear.

• Melanoma focus tells you about adjuvant therapy.