Aviva Critical illness policy for Melanoma

• 12 replies
  • 59 subscribers

Hi all,

I was recently diagnosed with superficial spreading MM stage 1a 0.7mm with a mitotic rate of 1. I have been reassured that it is a fairly positive diagnosis and I am waiting on the results of my WLE. I am hoping that this comes back clear and I can relax a little more.

I was told to check on my critical illness policy to see if I am eligible to claim. I have coverage with Aviva who has taken over my original policy with Bupa since 2012. They seem to think I am covered and have processed my claim. They state that MM is covered providing it is classed as invasive and not in situ which I understand mine is.

Has anyone previously dealt with any successful claims with Aviva/Bupa? My health is the overwhelming priority in all of this but any kind of payout to enable me to secure our home for my wife and daughter if anything further was to appear would be massively reassuring.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Lewis

• Hi Lewis

i was diagnosed with a 1b melanoma in January this year and, like you, made a claim through my workplace critical illness cover with Unum.  I searched the forum for critical illness claims at the time and I seem to remember many members had plans with Aviva which were straightforward to claim on.  I had to provide copies of hospital letters and I think they wrote for a medical report but it was all quite easy and they paid out within a few weeks. Like you, I would prefer not to be in this situation but it certainly helps knowing the money is there should my health worsen and I am unable to work.

Hope all goes well for you x

• Hi,

Thanks for the info, I'm glad to hear you were paid out.

Hope your treatment has gone well!

• Hi Lewis, we are just about to go through the same process, melanoma stage 1B (0.6mm Breslow with ulceration). Did you have a successful claim in the end? Our policy document states malignant melanoma is covered but only as long as the melanoma is not confined to the epidermis and is considered invasive. Not sure our stage will meet this criteria, but we will put a claim in. It's just more limbo without any feedback and Zurich were a bit useless when we rang, and couldn't say whether we should claim or not.  Just dont want to waste our time.

• Hi @Daisy_23. My melanoma was 1.1 mm no ulceration classed as stage 1b and was considered invasive per the definition in the critical illness policy.  They were pretty quick to pay out.  I think you just need to put your claim form in but from others’ experiences it sounds like you should have a good chance it will be covered. 

• Thank you - I think we will, I haven't yet seen anyone unsuccessful from a few forums. My husband and I have a life history of missing out on things due to changes to terms and wording in life in general so we always go in with glass half empty to these things! Fingers crossed it is the depth that is covered. Thank you again and hope you are keeping well

• Hi Lewis, do you have an update on your claim? Like you we are unsure as to whether the 1A (0.7mm breslow, T stage pt1a) is classed as invaded beyond the epidermis.... Thanks 

• Hi  our claim is still being processed by Zurich but all signs look good. I know someone on a stage 1a/b melanoma forum who is 0.5mm 1a and this week had a successful claim so yours should be successful also, as well as ours.  I cant find anyone who hasn't had a successful claim at stage 1. All stage 1 apparently meets criteria

• I guess we can only try! Best of luck to all of you, keep us posted :-)

• Hi Daisy,

Sorry for the late repsosne. My claim was successful all in all in took around 10 weeks. Bit of a delay in paperwork being sent to the correct person at the hospital.

• Hi,

Yes, my claim was successful. Around 10 weeks to file the claim and have it approved.

I'm sure you should have no issues in claiming yourself.