New to hear

• 29 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Hi I'm new to this site, 

I had a mole removed January which came back as stage 1a, a couple if weeks later I had a deeper wider excision which came back all clear,

But since the op I have developed loads of dark moles which started on my chest and back and have now spread to other parts of my body,

In March I had 2 of these new moles removed as a precaution,  on Tuesday I had the news I wasn't expecting to hear that those moles are also cancer, 

I'm struggling to digest this news, I am now waiting for a pet ct scan and start treatment,  how do I cope with the waiting and diagnosis, I keep feeling lost,  sick and don't know what to do

• Saltmarsh, an SLNB is a sentinel lymph node biopsy.  By radioactive injection and blue dye they find out which is the first node the mole(s) drain to and that's the first one they remove to test for melanoma cells. Surgeons often take a few more out around the sentinel node to test as well.  If cancer cells are in the lymph nodes then the grading is higher and you will most probably have treatment with immunotherapy. Xx

• Oh thanks.  I had melanoma, not moles.  WLE, but apparently it’s deeper, so I don’t know what they will do next.  PET scan last wk for full info. Meeting with surgeon Monday for next steps.  Best wishes to everybody.

• Saltmarsh, I hope I answered your question about an SLNB.   I'm sorry but I think I just got confused with the thread on here (I call it Pembro brain!) and thought you were the person who started this thread hence my mentioning moles. Sorry hon.  I hope your meeting with the surgeon went ok today and you've got some concrete plans to move forward with xx

• Cheers Allotment Lover, v kind!  

PET scan showed nodule behind ear, biopsy drawn today, also hotspot on a lung.  Another pow-wow of the bigwigs, next appt 2 wks.  Onwards & upwards!

Best wishes.

• Well you've had a busy day getting info today. Just keep them on their toes and make sure they don't take too long to chat!  As you say onwards and upwards and I've lots of watering and planting on my alottment to get on with. X

• Thanks again.  Your allotment will go a long way towards keeping your head straight, lovely…

• So had my scan yesterday and just need to wait now for the results.  Had plastic surgeon today who confirmed they will remove deeper area of skin on my arm in a couple of weeks.  No need for SLNB as he said they have all the information they need.  Checked lymph nodes again today which felt normal.  my original melanoma was on my arm and a cell had broken away, both have been removed.  

• Hope everything goes well with the deeper removal,

Such a worrying time, I have my scan today as it got cancelled last week,  then its the long wait for results, 

So far I have managed to go to work but struggled can't get my mind on the job and really worried that I will catch something from work as I work on wards at local hospital,  don't want to get covid or anything else and delay treatment but can't afford not to go to work

• Hello Puppy love.  I sympathise with your situation.  There may not be a long wait for the results, they saw me the following week.  Just depends on the diary, I expect.  You are wise to want to protect yourself.  I wear my mask a lot when out - amongst many people, not just city crowds.  Esp now when schools are out & in holiday season.  Always in shops & public transport.  Good luck, hope you hear soon x