Preventing Lymphedema after WLE and SLNB

• 5 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Hi all, 

I had my WLE on my knee and SLNB on my groin this week and was given compression socks to wear for two weeks to prevent lymphedema. 

Just got an email from my surgeon saying I need to wear them either for two weeks or for a week if I can massage my calf. I've asked if there are specific instructions to follow, but since its weekend I might not get an answer until Monday.

Just wanted to check if anyone here heard about it and if you did anything else apart from keeping feet elevated and wearing compression socks, to prevent lymphedema after surgery?

Thanks in advance,

Elmyra. 

• Hi

My SLNB was in my armpit so I only wore a compression sock for the day I was in hospital.

I've had a look at the previous posts on this topic for you and the most recent poster was so I'm 'tagging' them in the hope that they'll come and tell you about their experiences.

While you're waiting if you want to have a look through some of the previous posts which mention lymphoedema just click here.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks latchbrook, 

I'll check out the posts. I don't know why I am worried about it so much, maybe having lots of time after surgery caused me being entangled in all worrying possibilities related to it. 

X

• There's nothing wrong with worrying about developing lymphoedema . That was my main worry about having a SLNB but fortunately I didn't develop it.

Let us know how you get on after speaking to your team tomorrow.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello like you i had a WLE on my knee and SLNB on my groin. A few months later I had to have all the lymph nodes removed from my groin which resulted in me getting lymphedema in that leg. After being very uncomfortable for months I was told I should ask for a referral to a lymhedema nurse. She did MLD (manual lymphatic drainage) on my leg once a week which helped a bit. My medical insurance covered 20 treatments. She ordered me a compression stocking for that leg which also helps relieve the discomfort. The nurse measures my leg every 6 months and issues me a prescription for new stockings. She explained that lympedema is for life so I have learned to live with it. Walking, exercising and losing weight (if you're overweight) will all help to prevent it getting worse. She also said I have to be very careful not to injure the leg with cuts/grazes etc as you can get cellulitis. I also have to keep the skin moisturised. There's no cure but I have got to the stage of accepting it, although after all the ops/procedures I've had (see my profile) it's the lymphedema that affects my life the most!

Diane

• Hi Diane1951,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Looks like you've been through quite a lot as I can see from your profile. Hope you are OK now.

I had one lymph node removed from my groin and was told the risk of lymphedema is low at this stage but I still worry. I am trying to keep my left elevated and to wear compression socks. I am normally very active, do 8-10k steps at work on a routine day, I don't know how long it'll take me to go back to that, but I am taking it easy at the moment. I'll see how it goes and may invest few private MLD  sessions myself. 

Take care.