Sun Protection

• 4 replies
  • 58 subscribers

I have been following the thread on this and as we were going on holiday bought myself some Classic Crag hopper trousers with solar shield. They are supposed to be UPF 50 I believe.  Today I sat in the sun for an hour wearing them while I had a picnic lunch and I have burnt through them. As my Melanoma was on my leg before surgery I am very concerned. Will this mean I can't wear these trousers for walking in the summer? I thought they would protect me. Should I have put sunscreen on my legs too? We are in the middle of our holiday now and I don't know what to do! We were planning on some coastal walking. Can anyone advise me please? Ok

• I’ve never got sun burn through clothing before (didn’t know you could) but if you are burning through your clothes  then definitely apply sunscreen as well and if the two together aren’t enough avoid being out when the sun is at its hottest.

Maybe a sun parasole if you’re desperate or large sun hat.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday

• Thank you, helpful advice. I guess I'm just concerned that burning through UPF trousers has happened but will definitely slap 50+ underneath too! 

• Hi Rambler,

I do a lot of hiking in the mountains in the summer at high altitudes. I have red hair and very easily damaged pale skin.

I usually wear cotton leggings and have never been burnt through the fabric of the leggings. I wear shirts on top (O yes very glamourous!) and had some light burn on my shoulder when I spent the day at 2000 m and mistakenly wore a shirt with a light weave rather than a dense weave.

Are you sure that it is sunburn? The polyamide fabric may have irritated your skin especially if you were hot. 

Enjoy your holiday. Lucky you!

Miranda

• Miranda2 thank you so much, I think you may be right about the fabric because after panicking about my red legs I looked again and it had faded after a couple of hours. I don't think sunburn would disappear so quickly. I shall try and find some cotton leggings too.

On withe holiday and thanks again for your reply Blush