Immunotherapy - Complete Response

• 8 replies
  • 59 subscribers

Hi everyone, I just wanted to provide an update after my latest scan, to give encouragement to others on this sometimes harrowing journey - especially those grappling with a Stage 4 diagnosis.

I’ve been at this for over 5.5 years since my original diagnosis in 2015, and am 4.5 years into the Stage 4 journey after nodules were picked up in my lung in 2016.

It was controlled with targeted therapy (Dab Tram) until my Feb 20 scan, which showed that nodules had returned in both lungs.

I embarked on dual immunotherapy (Ipi & Nivo) last March but had to convert to Nivo only after one dose due to the risk of side effects during COVID. I had 3 more doses of Nivo before we stopped altogether due to gut inflammation.

My first scan in June 20 showed I was responding, with the nodules shrinking, in Sept one lung was clear again with faint traces left in the other, and my latest scan has confirmed a complete response - no trace of active melanoma.

That period after treatment was stopped was incredibly stressful, though my consultant seemed relatively confident that I would continue to respond without additional top ups. It seems she was right!

There’s no guarantee it won’t return. I’m only 1 year into the  journey to the significant 3 year point, after which recurrence becomes much less likely. But it’s as good as we could hope for at this stage and I just wanted to share that positive message with others nearer the start of the journey.

Good luck everyone.

• Thank you so much for posting this Tarilan. Good news like this is very heartwarming.

Coming to the end of treatment is always a bit of a cliff-hanger moment, but I think we need to tell ourselves that we have done everything that was recommended and given ourselves the best possible chance of staying healthy. We need to go on being vigilant of course, taking care in the sun and taking care of our health in general. 

Best wishes for continued good health 

Take care

Miranda

• That's really great news and thank you for being so thoughtful in sharing it here as we always like to hear good news Slight smile

Wishing you all the best

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you so much for sharing your good news, it gives us all hope. I also have stage 4 in many organs but reacted with colitis after one ipi nivo infusion. We will be trying tablets to shrink further tumours once colitis is under control but that may take many months. I wish you all the best and pray for a good recovery for you 

• Hi  absolutely fantastic news and I am delighted to hear about your complete response following immunotherapy, what a result ! If you don’t mind me asking how long were you on the Dab / Tram treatment before it lost its effectiveness. Thanks.

• I was on DabTram from July 17 to Feb 20, just over 2.5 years. I was told the average was less than a year so it was a good response - still a nasty shock when it stopped working though.I’d had a stressful winter and I’m sure that contributed.

• Thanks for the response . The reason for the question was that I too am on Dab / Tram and have been on the treatment for just over 2 years. I struggle to find anyone that has been on Dab / Tran for any length of time so I was interested when I read your news. I am truly delighted to read your complete response to the immunotherapy and wish you all the very best for the future.

• Thank you. In terms of longevity of response my consultant had advised me that if you got beyond 12 months - where the majority stopped - you tended to get to 3 years or more, after which there was another drop off.

But some do go on. I recall someone on here, back when I’d just started it, whose husband had been on Dab (or an equivalent) for over 6 years. 
    Everyone has their own path.

• Hi Tarilan, just adding my congratulations in here for your complete response. My understanding is that the majority remain clear after a complete response so I’m wishing that for you.

Earlier a Bill Bailey comedy clip came up for me on social media, talking about how enthusiastic Americans and Australians are in comparison to the British who use the phrase ‘not too bad’ for when things are excellent as well as when near an abyss. I am wanting to add lots of happiness emojis after as good as we could hope for and to enjoy your celebration and much needed positive post for others.

TadaTadaGrinningGrinningTadaTadaGrinningGrinningGrinningGrinningGrinning

The clip is reminding me that although I haven’t remained clear after a complete response to immunotherapy, things are still much much better than not to bad, with monitoring things have always be acted on quickly.

So here’s to complete responses GrinningThumbsup

Take care KT