Me again...

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 19 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Hi everyone, it’s been a while since I’ve been on here. “Normal” life resumed but after finding another suspicious lesion, I find myself coming back on, reading all your posts, so thought I would comment as it always makes me feel better that you all understand. 
I hope you are all aswell as can be and you’ve not gone mad with this lockdown.

So the reason I’m back - I noticed what can only be described as a stain on the sole of my foot (more specifically on the ball under my big toe) so I showed it to the dermatologist when I went in December, whom sent me for mole mapping again so we can keep an eye on it. At first it was very faint and small. Fast forward to my next check up, which is due the 19th May, the hospital phoned to say the app would be a telephone appointment due to the corona virus. I asked could I send photos via email as this “stain” has changed significantly, much darker, 2 different colours, much larger. They agreed. Not an hour later I got an email back to say to come in to the hospital on the 19th. So obviously it’s got my anxiety going and I’ve had to research, I can’t help myself. I feel I cope better the more informed I am and came across acral melanoma on this site.
So I’ve had a good read but I just wanted to ask if anyone has any experience of having 2 different types of melanoma please? My original melanoma was a mole and this in no way resembles a mole, more like a fake tan stain (I don’t use fake tan)

It doesn’t help that I’ve got a lot of pain on the right side of my groin, I’m currently awaiting a laparoscopy to investigate that but I can’t help put 2 + 2 together.

I know I’m VERY early on in the process and I’m jumping the gun but I just needed to vent abit.

• Hi 

I'm guessing that as you haven't had any response to your post that no one here has been diagnosed with two different types of melanoma before. Either that or the person that has, hasn't seen your post yet!

I'm no medical expert but I can't see why it wouldn't be possible to have two different types. After all, you can have a mixture of different types of skin cancer, eg BCC, SCC and melanoma. Hopefully, your new 'stain' will turn out to be nothing to worry about.

You only have a fortnight to wait (although I'm sure that feels like eternity right now) before you're seeing someone at the hospital so dig out those old coping techniques you used before and try not to worry.

I do understand why you're putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 as you're also waiting for investigations into the pain in your groin so your mind is bound to be racing.

You might find this about how to ease worry when waiting for results helpful. If you fancy trying mindfulness then this NHS page lists links to mental health apps including some which are free to download.

Do come back and let us know what they say at the hospital and I'll be keeping everything crossed for you.

((((hugs))))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi I just wanted to give an update. They are going to remove the “stain” on my foot as the Dr said it showed “activity”. Had more photos took and I’ve got to wait for an appointment with plastics. He said it will be put through as urgent due to my past history so hopefully not too long await. Also he said there is a swollen lymph node in my groin so he will speak to plastics and if it’s still there when I see them they will probably remove that too.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi AnnKayla

You asked about different types.  If you do mean types and not different appearances, because you had a mole and now you have a 'stain', my husband had two types.  They were superficial spreading and nodular melanomas in different places.  This will be 30 years ago next year when there was absolutely no treatment at all so the effects on the body were devastating.  I am still amazed at what can be done now.  it looks like you are being well looked after.

• FormerMember

Hi Tiptoes, thank you for your reply. Yes I meant type rather than look. I had googled (I know I shouldn’t) and come across acral lentiginous melanoma so I had just wondered if it was common to have different types of melanoma. I’m not too sure what my original melanoma was called though (this was on my chest/abdomen area) I just assumed it was known as malignant melanoma but if this on foot is cancerous I assume it’s a different type. I don’t know, I hope that makes sense? It’s just my mind going ten to the dozen. 

• Hi

Thanks for the update.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that your 'stain' doesn't turn out to be another melanoma. I think they tend to err on the side of caution if you've been diagnosed with one before.

Roughly this time last year I had a lesion removed from the same arm as my melanoma. A raised red lesion had suddenly appeared and my consultant couldn't be sure what it was without having a biopsy performed. I was given the choice of just having a biopsy sample taken or the whole thing removed. I decided on the latter but fortunately it turned out to be a benign lichen planus-like keratosis.

All types of melanoma come under the heading of 'malignant melanoma' and there are four main types. The most common is superficial spreading melanoma, which is what I had, then there's nodular melanoma, lentigo maligna melanoma and acral lentiginous melanoma. However, the diagnosis and treatment for all types is similar.

Let us know when you have a date for you op.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember

Thank you for that information latchbrook. I’ll make sure to ask, when I next go, what type my original melanoma was. I know it won’t make any difference but I feel like I cope better knowing all the ins and outs. I’ll let you know once I get my date. Really hoping it’s not too bad an op/recovery, especially whilst both kids are off. 

• FormerMember

Just spoke to the plastic surgeon, he doesn’t think I’ll need a skin graft on my foot so I’m really happy about that. They are not going to remove the lymph node but instead do a fine needle aspiration biopsy. He mentioned that the needles they use on the foot are extremely painful but I had requested to have the op under general anaesthetic anyway as the last 4 times I have had ops under local, I have felt it when they cut into me and they’ve had to stop to add more anaesthetic. He has agreed, so all in all even though the futures uncertain at the minute, I’m happy with today’s outcome. 
    Hope everyone if staying as well as can be during these difficult times.

Ann

• Thanks for the update . It all sounds like good news and hopefully it won't turn out to be another melanoma when they biospy it.

Do you have a date for your op yet?

x

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember

Not yet no and I stupidly forgot to ask but I’m thinking it may be a slightly longer wait due to me having a general anaesthetic. 

• FormerMember

Tomorrow is op day. The nerves are kicking in now. Just hope the results come through quickly, although with the current covid situation it’s unlikely. Hope everyone’s keeping as well as can be.