Critical illness cover?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 10 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Hi there iam new here and just been diagnosed with a Superficial spreading malignant melanoma with a Breslow thickness 0.6 no ulceration and mitotic rate 3 and been told it is invasive. Iam a bit hesitant to try and claim on my insurance as I've read through my policy and doesn't really make much sense to me I was hoping some one on here had experienced the same as me and just give me some light hope every one is doing the best they can at this hard time thankyou for your time to read :) 

Chris

• Hi , I’m sorry to hear about your diagnosis, I think your right having some financial compensation can give you some light hope. I haven’t had that kind of insurance but many here have who I hope might comment to help you. I’ve been on the site for a few years and wondered if this old post might help you in some way (I found it by putting critical illness in the search bar above)

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_types/melanoma/f/melanoma-forum/176084/aviva-life-insurance-melanoma-stage-2?Page=1#1396363

When you read it, you will see that others have claimed and been successful above melanoma in situ, (1a upwards) but if you policy is a new one you might be less successful depending on the wording of your policy. 

I hope you get it sorted others have had their policy paid out and had any excess monthly direct debits refunded.

Take care KT

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to KTatHome
    • Hi KTathome thankyou for your reply and taking the time to find the relevant infomation for me and it was really useful and dose give me an onsite I've read the policy and it doesn't make it very clear to me that's why I hoped someone on here could put it in better words for me my staging is 1a at present but they think it may of gone to my lymph nodes but carnt get them checked till after all this blows over (I.e covid  19 ) 
    • Thankyou again
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Chris,

I'm assuming you are waiting for your Wide Local Excision now?

It really all does hinge on the wording of your policy & you won't know if you are eligible for a pay out unless you enquire with your insurance company. Before you do this I suggest you wait until you have the results of your WLE because you will have more information to answer their questions fully. Most insurance policies will pay out if the cancer has the capability to spread - it doesn't have to actually have spread to be eligible. So wait until your WLE results come through & then make an enquiry with your insurance company.

One thing to consider carefully before making a claim - should your claim be successful now & you spend the money but the cancer returns at a later date, you may need the money more at that later date (to leave your job or pay off mortgage/bills or do that trip of a lifetime). So think carefully about whether you really need the money now or whether you could cope financially should you progress at a later stage & have to leave work etc. 

My personal experience is that I had critical illness cover as part of my employer's life insurance policy. When I was first diagnosed Stage 1b 23 years ago I didn't realise I could have claimed. I then retired & my 'retired' life insurance no longer included critical cover. Two years later I was diagnosed Stage 3. If I had still been working I could have claimed but I was no longer covered. The money would have been helpful 23 years ago but I'd missed out on the opportunity so I had to accept it. 

So, make sure your cover, your current position & what your position may be like in 5, 10, 20 years & make your decision accordingly. Good luck & let us know how you get on.

• Hi Chris,

I claimed on my critical illness cover after my WLE once I found out it was stage 2a. They paid out 25% of my insurance and told me if my sentinel node biopsy is positive taking it to stage 3 they would pay out the other 75% which I’m glad to say was clear with no spread. The payout was a silver lining!

I’ve since enquired if I can claim the other 75% if it comes back years down the line which apparently I can.

Definitely worth ringing your insurance company. 

Debbie

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you for your reply and yes I am still waiting on my WLE as timing couldn't be worse because of the coronavirus they have post poned everything until the hospitals open for normal use. My policy states that as long as it has gone beyond the eperdermis which mine has so realistically everything should go through no problem just wanted to ask hear and for any advice . And iam definitely going to sit down with my partner and see if at this time we need to claim because like you say no one knows what the future holds.

Thankyou for the reply really appreciate it 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to debs45

Debs45 thankyou for the response and with my WLE not going to be for Iam not sure to be honest strange time for all this to come about and that makes alot of sence to be honest what company was that with if you dont mind me asking and what did you policy state just my states any thing past the eperdermis? Just getting and idea that's all hope all is well for everyone in these hard times and thankyou all for your time to respond to me it means alot .

• Hi Chris,

I’m so sorry you will have a delay as it’s an anxious time without coronavirus chucked into the mix. Best to try and deal with one day at a time and finds ways to distract yourself even if for a short time.

My policy is with Scottish widows. The policy states type 1 (early stage) payout is 10%, stage 2 25% and stage 3 100% or the remaining amount up to 100% if they’ve already paid out. 
    Obviously all insurance policies are different but as you suggest it’s the invasive type you may well get a payout so worth checking.

They do ask for proof from the hospital so it can take time.

Best of luck 

Debs

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to debs45

Hi bed45 ano my partner and kids have been keeping me busy and its anight mare with no dates or anything like that but life goes on :) and yeah its worked alot different on my policy but we shall wait and see what happens with it and yes to verify everything I put down is true thanks again chris

• Hi Ginge18, sorry to hear your news. I was diagnosed with stage 1B acral Lentigious  melignant Melanoma in July last year. I didn't realise I had critical illness cover from 2002 so enquired in October. Fast forward to today they have paid out. Thus was with scotyish provident who covered malignant melanoma. 

Good luck with your further tests n ops 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Shelvox

Hi Ginge. 

I’m stage 2A so further along that you but I claimed my critical illness cover and legal and general paid out in full. Their terms said anything that has crossed the epidermis. Whilst someone above makes a good point of ‘do you need the money etc’ I just wanted to put my views, If not the slightly morbid flip side. I’m 32 so if this never comes back then Ive got plenty of years left but right now, I’ve got 2 small kids. We took the money and bought a camper van, I want them to have special memories and for us to live life to the full. Leaving them behind money isn’t going mean anything to them. We paid off some of our mortgage and a small manageable level and we kept some money. This was the right option for us even if perhaps not the most sensible! X