Swelling in breast after lymph node removal.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 56 subscribers

I had a malignant melanoma removed from the crease under my left breast. Eight lymph nodes were removed from my left armpit. Thankfully there was no involvement of the nodes. Since then, my left breast is “swollen” almost a full cup size compared to my right. Could this be due to reduced drainage capability? If so, is there anything that I can do to reduce the discomfort? Buying a bra is difficult and it’s very noticeable under my clothes. 

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I also had my SLNB from my left armpit but I didn't get swelling in my left breast. I don't have any medical knowledge so don't know if your swelling is because of reduced drainage capability. 

I know that one of the side effects of having a SLNB can be that you can develop a seroma at the site. However, you say that it's your breast that has swollen rather than under your arm.

Have you spoken to your SCNS about this? If not then she would be a good starting point.

When you have a minute it would be useful if could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Let us know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"