Awaiting biopsy results

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Hi first time posting, I went to my gp and was referred to dermatology within 2 weeks. Had my appointment yesterday and the dr said she would like it to be removed there and then as she didn’t like the look of the veil on it and it was darker than my other moles, I had a 6mm punch biopsy and a few stitches she then said it was probably fine and she’s removed it as a precaution, results would take 7 weeks. Is it generally 7 weeks or is this just because there’s no urgency? It seems a long time. Thanks 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, Mollyg180,

My results took almost 7 weeks, I also felt this was a long time especially as another friends hubby got his results in 4 weeks. I gather some other members have also had +6 weeks wait for results so I wouldn’t worry too much at this point. Could be that current situation with Covid19 your doctors is just giving worst case scenario in terms of lead time on the results. Good luck. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks so much, I didn’t expect it to even be removed I wasn’t worried in the slightest until that point but suppose at least it’s away now regardless. Possibly the nurses had mentioned that they aren’t having anymore routine appointments in clinic at the moment only urgent. I was always one for assuming no news was good news seems it doesn’t really make a difference, some biopsies for other things seem to be back within two weeks. Is it different for melanoma or just backlog? 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community 

I'm sorry to hear that you're currently waiting for your biopsy results. I know what an incredibly tough time this can be. 

You can't read anything into the length of time it takes to get your biopsy results and it's no different for melanoma or any other cancer.

The first time I had a suspicious lesion removed it was about 6 weeks before I had my results and the second time only about 3 weeks. It all depends on how busy the pathology labs are at the time you have your biopsy.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you that it doesn't turn out to be melanoma but, if it does, there are plenty of us here who can answer your questions and give you support. 

When you have a minute it would be useful if could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi thanks so much for your reply, I’m trying to just put it to the back of my mind which hasn’t been too hard given the world around us right now Cry I’ve got an appointment letter this morning for 20th April so I’m guessing they are expecting the results by then. Hope your well x

• That would sound about right for getting your results back .

I'm well, touch wood, and thanks for asking. I have the last of my 3 monthly check-ups before going on to 6 monthly in May. However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if my check-up gets postponed with coronavirus around.

Take care x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi

I'm just checking to see how you are and whether you've had the results back from your biopsy yet. I'm hoping that as we haven't heard from you that means that you didn't have melanoma Fingers crossed

x

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Ah thank you all so much, no thankfully was just a strange mole. I wish you all, all the very best xx

• Great news !

Community Champion Badge