Sentinel lymph node biopsies

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 56 subscribers

I’ve noticed most people usually have a sentinel lymph node biopsy after their diagnosis. My mole was found on my back on the right side so does this mean it’ll be in my armpit? Can I ask how big the cut will be and will it be in more than one area? I really don’t know much about Sentinel lymph node biopsies so any information would be great . Thanks x

• Hi , you’ve mentioned that you don’t know much about sentinel lymph node biopsies (SLNB), it’s offered to stage 1b and above and it’s the gateway to having adjuvant treatment. With a mole on the upper half of your back, on the right, it’s likely to be your right armpit. Further down and can be your groin. 

I have had a groin node removed but not had a SLNB as my diagnosis was when melanoma had spread to many nodes and was very visible on a scan. I have read ’s profile and they have recently had a SLNB to the armpit, so may be able to help with some of the experience your after. You may want to read the link below for some info 

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/melanoma/diagnosing/how-cancers-are-diagnosed/tests-and-scans/tests-lymph-nodes.html#17204

I am sure some others can give their experience aswell.

Best wishes

Take care KT

• Hi 

I had a SLNB from under my armpit so, if you are diagnosed with melanoma and it's deep enough that you're offered a SLNB, I'm more than happy to tell you what to expect.

I think it can be difficult to know in advance which of your sentinel lymph nodes will need to be removed when a melanoma is on your back. Some people have to have several removed as the radioactive dye flows to several places.

However, as you haven't been diagnosed with melanoma yet try not to think too far ahead. I know from your previous post that you're expecting to be told that you have melanoma as you have received a follow-up appointment with a surgeon. However, there are lots of non-melanoma skin conditions that might require further treatment so it's not a certainty yet.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that your results are not melanoma.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"