Wide local excision

• 2 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Had biopsy on 31 July and results showed Malignant Melonoma graded 1a. Today I had WLE and was very painful even after leaving hospital as I guess they have cut into healing tissue. Home now and pain is intense plus bleeding through dressing etc.. is this to be expected?

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the group which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I don't remember having bleeding through the dressing but it was painful.

On my hospital discharge papers after my WLE it advised me to take a combination of paracetamol and ibuprofen as directed on the packets straight away and then for at least a couple of days and not to wait for the wound area to become painful before taking them. I followed these instructions and, although the area was uncomfortable, it never became really painful.

Were you given instructions along with a number to call if you needed to speak to someone. If not, as it's the weekend, you should call NHS111 for advice.

I hope everything settles down soon

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you for your reply..  it’s just been such a surprise to have a lot of pain but as I said the original excision was less than 6 weeks ago and was still a bit sore so it has literally all been cCry open again Cry