Pembrolizumab

• 4 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Just been told I will be having Pembrolizumab treatment starting next week (when I get my appointment)  I’ve read up about the side affects and was also told about them in my meeting ,   I just want to know if anyone has had this and if so how tired did it make you .  I know people react differently but I’m just wondering as I’m a lorry driver and was just wondering if it’s going to affect that . Again I did ask this question but the reply I got was it’s different for different people, 

Dean 

• Hi Dean,

As a 65/m I had Pembro infusions for a year in 2020/21 with great success, reducing the malignant nodular melanoma from a Stage 3c level to NED and full remission 3 years post treatment. As you previously heard, the effectiveness and autoimmune reactions to the drug seem to vary unpredictably in every case and you will need to be alert for the onset of any unusual symptoms, being careful to keep your medical advisers in the information loop. Some do suffer very severe reactions from the drug and you will need to watch out for any changes in your health during the treatment process.

In my case the only symptoms were mild colitis and itchy skin. My driving responsibilities at the job were not affected and I never missed a single day of work nor any family events.

I wish that the reaction predictability was an exact science, but the Pembro was really a game-changer for me. I wish you the best with your treatments.

Best regards,

Dave

• Thank you very much for your reply Dave. Hopefully I get through the treatment with our many issues.   The only thing I’m worried about is it effecting my job as I don’t want to be off work any more then I have been with my surgeries 

• HI Dean

All I can add I have had 5 Pembro treatments without any problems, I have a treatment every 6 wks. I am 71yrs old and expected worst. It doesn't make me tired but I don't work. I hope you get on ok with it and do well.

• That’s good news that you havnt had and problems :)  hopefully I’m the same lol