Recent operation had for melanoma and found in lymph nodes

• 7 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hi there, I'm new here, iv recently had an operation on my left calf area because melanoma was found there, they cut deep into the area so I had to have a skin graft, still healing now. I had my test results back from the area and my lymph nodes also. My original area is clear from cancer now but they found 7mm of melanoma on my node, not the news I hoped, I went in for a ct scan the next day to see if I have any lumps or bumps anywhere else. 

Depending on my results. I'll have to options for me which I'll have to take for a year, in either tablet form or Iv, which iv been recommended the tablet because they a specific gene which only 50% get from melanoma. 

I'm just hoping the scan comes back clear so I don't have to worry anymore.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your SLNB showed evidence of melanoma and I can understand what a worrying time this will be for you. Have you been given an idea of when you'll get the results of your CT scan?
    If this does show evidence of spread, and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't, then there are people in this group who will be happy to share their experiences with you.
    It would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi there, thank you for the reply, iv just updated my profile and made sure all the info is there. At the moment my scan results will take up to 2 weeks. I will also be seeing a team soon about further treatment depending on the results

• Hi Williams3321. I was diagnosed with melanoma in 2023. If you would like to read my journey, you can click on my name. I have kept an up-to-date record of my treatment so far. When I decided to go on treatment after my operations, I was very nervous about side effects. The oncology teams are very good though, with plenty of support.

I have been on targeted treatment in tablet form for 5 months now. Had a few issues with side effects, but not too bad.

I am doing OK and keeping a positive frame of mind.

Good luck with any further treatment, the oncology teams are fantastic.

David

• Hi David, thank you for the reply, i was reading your story, I'm glad you've been staying positive through this situation, iv been trying to be positive also, iv had a phone call today from the cancer nurse team, they want me to go in next Thursday, which I assume would be my results from my ct scan hopefully, I'm hoping they don't find anything, fingers crossed. With taking the tablets does it restrict you from doing anything from day to day like either working or simple tasks from home?

• I have carried on working, just a few days off when the side effects were restricting me. I would say the fatigue is the only thing that restricts my normal everyday routine. Some days the fatigue is mild, while others I need to take a nap in the afternoon. I work 5am to 12pm. I used to complete tasks at home in one complete go, but I now break them down in several shorter sessions.

• Hi I’ve been put on targeted therapy for stage 3c melanoma.Been on treatment for 5 weeks now but my fatigue is terrible.Not able to carry out my normal cleaning routine,even making food is to much for me.Oncologist is going to reduce my dose.Anyone been feeling they can’t Coe with this fatigue.Thanks

• Bobdon,

I'm sorry you're feeling terrible fatigue. I experienced this from time to time when I was on targeted treatment. There was one time when I couldn't chop a carrot! I was upset. However, it did not last. It was also infrequent. It's great your oncologist is reducing the dose to suit you better. I'd like to send you courage and patience. I know I felt the fatigue was never going to go away. I think that's part of what fatigue feels like. However, it did. Meantime, there's no way around it. Rest. Do whatever you want to do. Eat whatever you want. I ate a lot of Magnums. Objectively speaking, I guess, the treatment will be over in a year. It will come to an end. It's unlikely you'll feel this terrible all the way through. 

Best,

Dots