What’s next?

• 2 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Have just had a WLE and waiting for the results. Initially they said I’d see Dermatology for the results, but not they’ve said I’ll see the plastic surgeon. 

Either way, I’m wondering what will happen next. They thought they’d got all the melanoma with the biopsy, so the WLE is a ‘precaution’. If this comes back clear, then is that it? Will I just be discharged or, because I’ve had melanoma once, does that mean there’s a risk it will come back and I’ll have follow up appointments? 

just wondering what happens long term. I’ve clearly got too much time on my hands atm as I’m off my feet so my mind is wandering far too much! 

• Hi

It was the plastic surgeon that I saw for my results. I think mainly because it gave him the opportunity to check that my wounds were all healed/healing and to check for any problems with the surgery.

Fortunately, as no further cancer cells were found in the WLE or in the SLNB, I was discharged back to dermatology. At the time I was diagnosed follow-ups were every 3 months for 3 years followed by every 6 months for 2 years. I will be having my last check-up in a couple of months' time and then I'll be discharged.

However, the NICE guidelines on follow-ups have recently changed as they now say for stage 1a, which you say you are, "Year 1: Consider 2 clinic appointments, with discharge at the end of year one".

You'll be shown how to check your lymph nodes and should get into the habit of checking both your lymph nodes and skin once a month. I'm a very moley person so my dermatologist encouraged me to take photos of all the different sections of my body which I use to compare against when I do my monthly check. That way I stand a chance of seeing if I have a new mole or one has changed.

Do let us know the results of your WLE and I'll be keeping everything crossed that it'll be negative.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you for this amount of detail. Really appreciate it! 
    I’ll keep you updated.