WLE for melanoma

• 25 replies
  • 46 subscribers

I am going in for a wle in 3 areas on Tuesday and feeling anxious. 

I had 3 moles removed in March  1 of which was stage 1A melanoma and the other 2 are melanoma in situ. 

Anyone had this recently who can tell me about their experience.  Was it similar to the first surgery? Will I be able to drive home after?

Just can't wait for Tuesday to arrive and get this over with.

• Good luck to you also, hope all goes well.  x

• Thank you, sorry to hear you have not fully healed yet.  Out of curiosity are you in much pain after the operation and how quickly can you get back to excercise?

• Hi I would ask if you are allowed to get the train      After your operation,  only because it’s on your leg, there was a girl in my ward who got the bus home ended up having to come back the ward because her bandages were soaked in blood, I don’t mean to worry you but it’s better to be safe, is there no one who can pick you up? 
    paula

• Hi mine was different to youse as mine was my lower leg and I had a bit of a complication with the WLE I have had fluid build up in my wound that delayed healing time, I also had the SLNB which a node was taken from my groin, both was not sore to be honest, 

yours is your arm and it will heal so much quicker, just try not lifting anything heavy ect for at least one week, you will need to heal side,

are you not having a SLNB? 

• It's so difficult as I have no family here and all of my friends work. I have emailed the hospital and will call them tomorrow to check. 

Appreciate your concern x 

• They are not doing the SLNB which I was surprised at.  I asked about this and they said my lymth nodes feel normal and they have all the information they need so not necessary?

My CT scan did come back on Friday as all clear other than what looks like a cyst on my liver which they said is normal.  I have to get an MRI scan to examine this in more detail.

Not sure what happens next, wait for the results of WLE then not sure.  I am stage 3 so keep reminding myself it hasnt just went away

1. Hi oh that’s good news your CT scan has came back fine,  to be honest the SLNB which they would have done in your armpit would have been quite sore also the scar is big too, so at least that’s been avoided.  So now you’ll have the WLE plus the graft, you should heal really fast just make sure you have high protein diet and extra zinc for healing.
  • Your welcome,

Yes they should get back to you, maybe the could arrange transport for after your operation?  I just know on my ward they wouldn’t let me leave untill someone collected me,  I’m sure they will advise you tomorrow stop you from worrying.

x

• I am having mine done as a local anaesthetic so will be out within 90 minutes apparently and luckily no sentinel node procedure. 

• Oh wow well that’s not too bad then, see mine is stage 2 and my wound was really deep but not painful,  you will be fine, you should heal a lot quicker too, 

good luck try not to worry

x