SLNB results

• 48 replies
  • 48 subscribers

Hi everyone, 

After a long five week wait I finally got my results and whilst not terrible, they weren’t the all clear I obviously hoped for. There was no cancer cells around my WLE and none in one lymph node but in the second lymph node taken there were 

1. Micrometastatic Melanoma 

My Surgeon explained that these were tiny traces - the largest was 0.2mm in diameter and therefore unlikely to have spread further but they want to do a PET scan and then an appointment with oncology to discuss if further treatment is needed. She explained it as the best result possible other than a 100% all clear.

I just feel a little shocked and unsure how to take the news- on one hand she seemed very positive but on the other hand it all feels quite serious. I know I’m now at a higher risk of it recurring which at only 33 with a young child feels quite scary. I also wanted to know if I’m now classed at stage 3 as the melanoma had reached the lymph nodes? That in itself feels like a big step up. 

Many thanks to anyone who reads and replies, sending everyone love and support during these difficult times. 

• Hi  

I'm sorry to read that your results weren't as good as you were expecting and it's natural to wonder if you're now classed as stage 3. The best person to clarify this would be your SCNS.

I was in a similar position to you when I had 2 sentinel lymph nodes removed when I was undergoing a lumpectomy. One was clear but the other contained a tiny amount of cancer cells so I know how scary it can feel when you're first told.

It sounds like your surgeon is taking a belt and braces approach to make sure that everything is okay just as my breast cancer oncologist did. Although it felt scary to discover that there were cancer cells in my lymph node, I decided to be reassured by the hospital teams confidence that everything would still be okay.

((hugs))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you so much for taking the time to reply - it’s reassuring to know that many of us have been on similar journeys. 

I think I will have a call with one of the nurses next week so I will be sure to ask my questions then. In the actual appointment I just felt so overwhelmed that I didn’t really process anything or think about next steps. 

How are you doing now? 

Hugs back x 

• Hi bee1990

I got my results back yesterday the nurse rang me and said that there was no cancer cells around my WLE but there was some melanoma cells in the lymph node, she said that I would need a CT scan, I was a bit taken back with what she was saying, as I really didn't think it would of spread as I was stage 1b. She said the consultants are going to dicuss on Monday what will happen next, I think she rang me to give me a bit of a heads so not to be shocked when the doctors call I guess, but I was still in shock. So like you does that mean it's now stage 3. I don't really know how to feel.

Sending hugs x

• Hi there, 

Thanks for reaching out - I’m sorry to hear you’re also going through an anxious time. 

I was also classed as 1b on diagnosis and was told I was right on the cusp for whether I’d have a SLNB anyway but I chose to have it and now I’ve been hit with this news. 

I hope you get some more information when you get your call on Monday and I’m glad you’ve been given a bit of a heads up so it’s hopefully not too much of a shock. 

I am having a PET scan tomorrow so things have moved pretty quickly but hopefully that means I’ll have some more clarification. 

My surgeon said that I’d also be referred to oncology after the scan - no matter what the results were and there would be a discussion about whether any further treatment was necessary. She said that it might not be but this kind of result also leads to an oncology appointment either way. 

Hope that information helps you a little. My surgeon was reassuring that just because there were cells found in the lymph node doesn’t mean it’s necessarily spread anywhere else. I’m sending lots of love your way and hoping you’ll have some good news soon x 

• Hi  

I'm very well thank you. Have the second of my yearly mammograms next month, after finishing treatment for breast cancer, so it's an anxious time. However, what will be will be and I won't let cancer rule my life Slight smile

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi 

Thankyou it does make me feel at ease as I'm struggling to get my head around it....its that waiting and now I've been told this my brain is all over the place again  

When I had my mole removed I was told that they were pretty certain that the cancer had been removed and they said they didn't think it had spread as I was S1b but they said about WLE and the SLNB and that I could walk and they would check me every year for the next 5yrs.

So I had it done, kinda glad I did now even though I was told it wouldn't of spread anywhere....just need to wait and see what is said Monday I guess.

Sending love your way too and you have the best outcome Fingers crossed

Take care and be kind to yourself xx

• Understandably an anxious time but I think you have absolutely the right attitude - got to carry on in the meantime and then cross any bridges if and when you get to them. No point in worrying about something that may never happen. Fingers crossed your next check up all goes well x

• Sounds like we’ve had very similar experiences to be honest. I was also told it was unlikely and all looked promising so I kind of talked myself into thinking it would be. But it still could be. I actually have my PET scan later today so everything is happening quite quickly and although it’s quite overwhelming I’m glad that I’ll hopefully know the full picture soon. I hope you do too and that t’s all good news. 

Hugs x 

• Yeah I was telling myself it will be ok as I've been told it will be ok and then bang told something that I wasn't expecting...but just have wait and see. 

I'm going for a check today as I've found a lump in my armpit the opposite arm to where I had the procedure, I'm sure it will be nothing but I'm so more aware at the minute,

Be thinking of you today, hope you get the best outcome and you get told your results soon and not have to wait.

Big hugs xx

• Hi

I hope it went ok yesterday with your scan. I've got mine on Sunday.

Big hugs xx