Melanoma stage 1b - questions re SLNB

• 39 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I’m new to this forum Wave 

I was diagnosed with stage 1B melanoma at the start of January 24. I’ve been given the option of having a SLNB and was in two minds whether or not I should go ahead with it until last week when I had my consultation with the plastics consultant and was told there is suspicion of lymph vascular invasion (I wasn’t told this when I was first diagnosed).

After finding this out, I’m going ahead with the SLNB. The consultant said I should get my appointment through for the end of March but I’m now concerned about the melanoma spreading within that time whilst I wait. 

My question is has anyone paid to have a SNLB done privately and if you have, how much did it cost? Also, how long did you wait between having your consultation and getting the biopsy done?

I’m a bit confused as I thought stage 1B was an early diagnosis and there was no sign that the melanoma had spread.

TIA

• Hi HF2024. If you look at my profile (just click on my name), you can see my time line from my first contact with gp to present. Hope it helps.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that you have recently been diagnosed with melanoma and it's normal to worry that the cancer may have spread. 

I had my SLNB done under the NHS so I can't help with your question on how much it might cost. However, I can share my timescale between being told my biopsy results were positive for melanoma to having my WLE and SLNB which was about 10 weeks. You can read about my 'journey' with melanoma by clicking on my username.

It would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and proposed treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello. I'm new to this group and was searching for conversations for similar circumstances to my own. I am also waiting to have a SLNB and was told 2 days ago that it is only offered by NHS. I asked if f I could have the procedure done quicker with Bupa (through my employer) and was shocked to hear they don't offer the procedure. Currently looking at having this done along with a wider excision in 1st or 2nd week in May. Local excision was done 19th January, diagnosed with stage 2 melanoma 15th February 

• Hi, thanks for leaving a comment! Sorry to hear about your diagnosis! This is interesting because I contacted a few private hospitals and explained my situation and was told each time that the hospital didn’t offer the procedure! I thought they were fobbing me off but now that you’ve mentioned that you were told the procedure is only offered by NHS that makes sense! Do you mind me asking who told you this? My SLNB is booked for 5th April with NHS xx

• Hi, it was the plastic surgeon who will be performing the wider excision who told me. I couldn't believe it when he told me. So basically have no option but to sit it out and wait until May. Very frustrating and the wait making me even more anxious than I was before. 5th April is really soon, hopefully the days will fly by for you xx

• It’s crazy isn’t it! This is the type of thing that people would get done privately! I know the wait is horrible isn’t it! Try and keep yourself busy with the things you enjoy and the people closest to you xx  

• You would think so wouldn't you. Hopefully I'll get an appointment sooner rather than later. Hope all goes well with yours. Take care xx

• Hi, I was also diagnosed with stage 1B melanoma in November 2023 and had SNLB and wide excision performed in middle of February 2024, overall a wait of about 15 weeks. I was lucky enough to find out a few days ago that my results have come back clear. I admit to being really scared that the cancer would spread whilst I was waiting for the tests to completed, just wanted to reassure you that it’s not always bad news. 

Hoping for a positive outcome for you c

• Hi Potte, hope you’re doing well. I had my initial biopsy in January and have been given a date for the WLE in May, this seems like a long wait but looking at your response here it seems like it might be quite common. Mine was also diagnosed as stage 1B. How deep was yours and did you have any other concerning features such as ulceration? 

• Hello Potte & Mystic Daisy. I must say hearing your experiences has put my mind at ease re: waiting times. Seems to be the normal, although still very frustrating. My melanoma is stage 2 measuring 1.1mm. I hope you're both doing well x