New diagnoses

• 1 reply
  • 6 subscribers

I have confirmed secondary cancer of lymph node in my groin following operation on Paget’s disease. I am due for further op to remove these and biopsy of other side. I have little information about the practical effects this will have, other than having a drain fitted probably when I return home. Depending on future results I expect to need follow up treatments.

Any information would help - sorry this a bit vague. Bob.

• Hi Bob

I’m Steph from the Community team. May I wish you another warm welcome to the Community, although I’m sorry that a cancer diagnosis has brought you here.

Whilst you’re waiting for members of the Community to respond to your post, I hope you don’t mind that I have popped in to offer some additional support.

Surgery and recovery experiences will differ, depending on your exact diagnosis and your general health. We have some general information about preparing for treatment which you might find helpful.

Your healthcare team should be able to answer any questions about what to expect ahead of your operation. The link in the previous sentence might be helpful when speaking to your doctors and nurses and finding the information you need.

It’s natural to worry about how you’ll manage at home following treatment. We have some information here about going home from hospital that you might find helpful.

I’d also encourage you to contact the Macmillan Support Line for emotional, practical and financial support. Even if you just want to chat with someone who is there to listen, I’d really encourage you to give us a call.  Our Support Line teams are available 7 days a week, 8am-8pm on freephone 0808 808 00 00email or live webchat.

Please do let us know if you have any questions or need further support with anything at all. You can contact the Community team by email at community@macmillan.org.uk or by sending a PM to  

I hope the Community helps to show you that you don’t have to go through anything alone.

Kindest Regards,

Steph
    Online Community Officer