Cancer found in lymph nodes during gastrectomy

• 5 replies
  • 5 subscribers

Hi there,  

My FIL had a stroke Sep 21 at which point a mass was found in his stomach.  Fast forward 4 months and he had a partial gastrectomy.  He had no chemotherapy before or after this due to his stroke. 

During surgery they removed 20 nodes, 10 of which were cancerous. He is living with us and will not return home due to cognitive impairment after the stroke.  We are thinking we may need to move home as we have 4 kids and no room now. No respite or carers so can't do anything as a family.  He is still on his feeding tube 4 months post surgery and only eating about 200 calories a day.  Drinking build up drinks haphazardly although meant to be on 3 per day. His cognitive impairment has made recovery very difficult as he forgets what we have told him all the time.  

Does anyone think this cancer will return as he hasn't had chemotherapy?  Will his other lymph nodes around the stomach have more cancer?  We are not sure of life expectancy but need a bigger house and to move forward.  We don't want to move if he gets ill in the middle of an upheaval.  

Has anyone else had a similar experience? 

Many thanks,  gigi 

• Hi

Although I don't have the experience you're looking for, as I have a different type of cancer, I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet.

I think your questions will be very hard for anyone in this group to answer as everyone's cancer acts differently. Your father-in-law's hospital team are probably best placed to help but even they will only be able to make a best guess as to life expectancy based on their previous experiences.

I realise that this isn't probably the reply you'd hoped for but wish you and all your family all the best.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Fish, I just thought I'd add my bit too.  It's certainly a load you sound like you have there hon with four children and a FIL with a stroke and a cancer diagnosis.  As Latchbrook says none of us here can give  a life expectancy for your FIL but certainly it's generally a more serious diagnosis if the cancer has spread to local lymph nodes.  It does increase the risk of the cancer returning. 

There's no way of knowing how many other local lymph nodes may have cancer cells in them as nowadays complete removal of local nodes has not been found to be beneficial.  So it's just a sample amount that's taken out usually.  Not having chemo is something his doctors should inform you about I think and your best bet is to chase them up via their secretary and maybe have a zoom call or such like. 

It also might be worth contacting the financial advisors on this Macmillan site for advice re any money and support you may be entitled to hon. It's really worth doing that plus your FIL's GP should help with access to local care available, definitely a referral to a dietician for nutritional advice and a day centre perhaps.  Take cake xx

• Thanks so much for your reply.  I am always astounded by how kind people are on this forum.  I spoke to his surgeon today and he told me he has poorly differentiated cells from the tumour in his lymph nodes. I don't understand this fully but do realise this is an aggressive type of cell. He thinks  1 to 2 years.  I'm thinking short term just now.  

Unfortunately due to the stroke compromising his cognition I would say he is living a half life.  Otherwise we would be seeking other treatments.  He would probably not survive chemotherapy.  

I am so grateful for your reply.  Sometimes you just feel you are going mad. 

Cheers 

• Hi Fish, I know it's been 2 months since you last posted on here.  I wondered how things are?

The explanation of your FIL's disease is ( I think) that the primary mass or tumour was in his stomach and whilst operating the surgeon wanted to see if the local lymph glands had been infiltrated so he removed some for testing.  This is usually done to "stage" the individual's disease, ie; it becomes more serious if found in the lymph glands.  I had mine tested during my operation to take a wider clearance excision around where my melanoma had been. So my stage was higher as it had spread. Poorly differentiated just means that the cells don't look like proper cells anymore so maybe that means they are still changing into cancer cells?

Anyhow I really hope you've managed to find some physical nursing/caring support to relieve your workload and that some "normality" is returning to your busy life.  I hope also that your FIL is comfortable. Take care x

• Aaww,  it's so nice to hear from someone.  He is actually doing OK. Still got the jej in but has put on 5lbs so hopeful he will come off it. That's for selfish reasons as we can't really go away as a family unless he comes too. 

He has a cough and a bit wheezy but he doesn't want more scans so all good.  We take him to France in Sep to see where his dad is buried after the war . Sleeper from Inverness then down to Portsmouth for the ferry.  Bed on the train and ferry.  Hoping we at least get there with no hiccups. 

That's one thing he always wanted to do. 

Caring can make you up and down but on the whole we are lucky to have each other and the kids. It must be lonely if you are elderly with no family around you.  

How are you?  I hope your situation is OK.  

Thanks,  Fish Fish