Bewildered

• 6 replies
  • 145 subscribers

This is the first forum I’ve ever joined but I feel I need any and all support I can get. I was diagnosed last week with squamous cell carcinoma, it seems to have just come out of the blue as up until about 8 weeks ago, I didn’t really have any symptoms. They’ve told me it’s inoperable and incurable but I’ve been referred to an oncologist. It’s likely to be 3-4 weeks before I get an appointment though. I’m 75 and always thought I was in good health, and I just can’t stop coughing. It’s a dry cough - any tips?

• Hi Silver top, welcome to the group, but sorry you find yourself here. The wait to see the oncologist will be very stressful, especially if it is 3-4 weeks, hopefully it won’t be that long. 

Has your GP given you any inhalers to help with the cough. If not it may be worth asking for one. 

There are a few of us here who are incurable but treatable. If you click on our profile picture or name, it will take you to our profile where you can read our journeys so far.

Good luck with the oncology appointment x 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks for the support. I was given an inhaler but haven’t found it to be of much use, though I am continuing to use it. As you say, the wait to see the oncologist is stressful but I understand how busy they must be post pandemic. Have seen your profile and good luck with your future treatments x

• Hi silver top

i have lung cancer NSCLC I am incurable but treatable. I know how scared you must feel as I’ve been in the same position, please feel free to read my profile and if you feel I can be of some support to you please message me.

I am a little further down the road than you , so I know what the waiting is like, but one you have seen your oncologist and you have a treatment plan things will get better, I’m here if you need a friend 

hugs

Donna

• Hi silver top.  My husband is 64 and just been diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcenoma can very on the lung, he has several spots and it has spread from previous skin cancer.  He too has been to,d it is not curable and we are both very confused.  My husband doesn’t even seem sick! He is a little wheeze and coughs a few times a day, he out walks me! It makes no sense.  We have been told that they will give him Cemiplimab immunotherapy but haven’t been given a date yet.  They said they can’t operate and chemo was no good for him.  I am trying to find someone who has had this immunotherapy.  

• Thanks Donna. Three and a half weeks further down the line but still no oncologist appointment. This waiting is horrible. 

• Thanks for your reply and I hope your husband continues to feel as well as he does now. Hope someone who has had similar treatment reads your post