Secondary lung cancer

• 11 replies
  • 146 subscribers

I'm a 77 year old male who in 2013 had submandibular salivary gland cancer , this was successfully removed and treated with radiotherapy only now to return as a secondary lung cancer.  I have a consultations with oncology on Wednesday 10th of November which is welcome but very worrying. At the moment pain free but breathless and fatigued, my family are all helping out and I don't know what i would do without them ,they are very supportive . Onwards and upwards we will see what the future brings . May I wish everyone on this forum the very best for the future and thank you all for allowing me to communicate with you .

• Hi Elgin city, welcome to the group, but sorry to hear your news. My lung cancer is secondary as well, so I know how that feels. 
    I am glad to hear you have good family support.  Sometimes it is hard to talk to our loved ones though about how we are feeling, which is why this forum is so important. 
    Good luck for the 10th. Please let us know how you get on x 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Chelle I appreciate your help in this forum ,I hope that you're keeping as well as can be expected and good luck in the future. I'll update next week once I have seen oncology, once again thank you.

• Hi Elgin just to wish you luck on the 10th I know how nerve racking it is waiting and just bby reading your post you souunnd a very positive person and that always helps so good luck Jean xx

• Hi Jean thanks for your  message, that's a great forum name you have Wink I try to be positive, not always easy is it but have more good days than bad . Take care and I wish you all the very best. Xx

• Hi keep in touch and let me know how you get on, on the 10th. We are all here to support each other as it can be difficult to talk to the family because you don't want to upset them. At least you can put your feelings down in words and there's always someone who has been there and will let you how they dealt with it, you never know it might help. Love Jean xx

• Thanks again Jean,  I will certainly keep in touch and as you say it is a good way of getting it off your chest without worrying the family. Keep safe Jack x

• Well I have now seen the oncologist at ARI and he has confirmed that I have cancer in both lungs and it is terminal , not a great visit but there is a new drug (name not known) which I will be started on in 6 weeks time which hopefully will slow down its progress,  on trials it was successful in 50% of cases so fingers crossed. Don't know if it all has sunk in yet but apart from a sleepless night last night I'm feeling OK about it and will just try and make the most of my time . Onwards and upwards folks .

• Hello Elgin city,

Welcome to the group. So sorry you’ve had bad news today but good to know your team have a treatment plan that has had good results.

I also have secondary lung and chest cancer metastasised from head & neck.I’m having immunotherapy (Cemiplimab) a trial drug which I’m just over half way through.

Wishing you all the very best.

little-fi x

• Hi Elgin I thought about you today and had everything crossed for you, I'm so sorry the news wasn't what you wanted to hear. Now you and your team know what they are fighting there is still hope, live your life to the full with your family. It will take time to sink in for all of you but I wish you luck and hope the drugs and treatment work and you are In that %. Love Jean xx

• Hi Elgin, that was very difficult news for you to hear. It sounds like you have a good team looking after you though, and the drug sounds promising.  You have 6 weeks now to take some time for yourself before the treatment starts. That will give you time to get your thoughts together and get yourself prepared for the treatment. I have everything crossed for you  xx 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge