Hello everyone...x

• 15 replies
  • 148 subscribers

I was informed on Thursday that following a recent chest x ray they have discovered a small nodule on my right upper lung - which they are thinking may be lung cancer - I couldn’t tell anyone until Friday evening as My husband works away from Monday to Friday and I wanted to share with him first.  The most awful 24 hours of my life. But now my husband knows I can at least share this burden..I am booked in for a CT scan on Wednesday at 12 and it just cannot come quickly enough for both of us... the waiting, not knowing is the hardest part...we have swung between complete despair and disbelief.  My greatest worry is sharing with my family - especially my 3 adult children but I know they need to know.  We aren’t going to share it with them until after the scan and we have more definite information as I want to protect them for as long as possible.

• Hi Helene

Nice to meet you but sorry it has to be here. That’s usually the way, stroll along for a chest X-ray then suddenly all hell breaks loose. You are probably on the ceiling at the moment and don’t know which way to turn, just slow down and take a breath (it’s ok I’ll put my fingers in my ears whilst you swear at me)  The ball has started rolling now and it will move very quickly if your ct shows that it is cancer. If it does there will be other tests to go through, PET scan, biopsy amongst them and as you make your way through them you will know when to tell your family. You already know that the waiting is the worst and it seems to take forever but it is quite quick. 
    You have shared the burden with your husband and now you have shared it with us so you’re not alone, there’s always someone here to talk to.
    At least come Wednesday you will know, hope it goes well for you, good luck

Take care

Julie
  • Hi Julie thank you so much for responding - I already feel less alone - if that's possible x what is your story - I would love to be able to support you too?

• Hi Helene,

You May get this reply twice as I replied before but it seems to have disappeared!

What I said was, I have read your profile and you have a lovely family around you as well as your 2 little dogs. I live alone but have a very naughty Yorkshire Terrier that keeps me on my toes, it’s like living with a 2 year oldJoy If you click on my name or photo you can read my story so far.

Julie
  • Hi Helene

A chest x ray showed a small mass on my top right lung. I was referred for tests, PET scans biopsy etc which confirmed cancer. Within 5 weeks I had a lobectomy by key hole surgery to remove the top right lobe. I was in hospital for 4 days and the pain was always manageable and nowhere near as bad as I thought. I am now 5 weeks in and recovering really well. Doing breathing exercises and short walks. The pathology results confirm it has not spread and no further treatment needed. I am so lucky. However, I was told initially that not all dodgy xrays mean cancer.  Good luck

• This may be far less worrying depending upon what your primary diagnosis was. Lung nodules are quite common and probably everyone who has ever lived has had them. Only in this modern age have we had the ability to do imaging and see them. Before, they came and went in most if not all people with no one taking notice. Oftentimes they are a result of a viral or bronchial infection. I had had several and each resolved on its own.

One cancer (PTCL-NOS) 3 times. Two other cancers: Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma 2 times, and 20q deletion MyeloDysplastic Syndrome) were chemo refractory. All three cancers simultaneously in 2015. Stage IV twice + MDS @ 23% of marrow. 12/22 diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Thus far, 14+ years, 20 drugs, 4 clinical trials, Total Body Irradiation, 1,000+ years of background radiation from scans. 7th remission so far. Haploidentical stem cell transplant, acute > chronic Graft-versus-Host-disease. Currently receiving my 7th GvHD regimen.

• I agree with the previous comments. There are probably more tests coming your way before they'll be able to say for definite. The waiting is the worst part! It makes sense to protect your children from the worry for now. I only told those people who I thought needed to know and would be able to support! On the plus side, once I had the diagnosis the treatment (lobectomy) was quickly done and I recovered well. Good luck x

• Hi RuthyB thank you for your reply x Your story seems a little like mine...hoping that the CT scan doesn’t find anything too ominous but - if it does then so be it. I’m so glad that you are recovering well and hope you make a speedy recovery x take care of you x

• Hi Julie, well you have certainly been on a rollercoaster of a journey x fingers crossed for you that everything continues to improve and you stay well and healthy xx 

• Hello po18guy thank you for your down to earth and positive reply xx I’m sure things will be better once the ball starts rolling - one way or the other..x

• Hi control Freak, thank you for your reply - its so lovely to hear from positive people. I’m sorry to hear that your cancer has re-emerged and that you are playing the waiting game...it takes over your whole life I imagine?! Hope you stay well how are you coping with it all?