Update & Reuest For Information

• 4 replies
  • 107 subscribers

Hello again everyone,

Over the last fortnight I have attended two weekly Macmillan Daycare sessions at our local hospice (Roxburghe House, Dundee) and I have enjoyed talking to others in similar situations with cancer.

However, I now have doubts about my diagnosis and I am bordering on denial and asking for second opinions. Compared to others that I have met recently, I have no symptoms or suffering from any pains. It may be that the care team have all the proper pain-relief medication in place but I am wondering if any others have have had these kind of thoughts and what they did about them

After being given an estimated life expetancy in early January of between 6-9 months I am now down to almost 1-4 months and I feel better than I did in January.

Thanks Again,
Bob

• Hi Bob,

When I was diagnosed  I had, had a cough. I was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and the prognosis was 4-6 months and no chance if surgery.

I had a second opinion as I felt, there must be something I can do. This came back with the same prognosis.  I am now a year and a bit down the line. I again feel better than I ever have. I did have some rough times as I had a reaction to the immunotherapy. But all I can say is, enjoy each moment you have while your feeling well, have a positive attitude, spend your time with family and friends and tick things off your bucket list.

Try not to dwell on the diagnosed/prognosis as thus willmonly bring you diwn. Exercise as much as you can and eat healthy. 

I wish you all the best and remember someone is always hear to listen. 

Regards 

Willow23

• Hi  it is good to hear you are feeling so well, and that you have had a good experience at the hospice. I think we should all prove our doctors wrong and far out live our diagnoses. Who says you can’t live longer than the 6-9 month prognosis. If you talk to some of the people in the Living with incurable cancer forum - patients only they will tell you they have far out lived their initial timescale. Some people won’t even ask what their timescale is, because they don’t want to be too fixated on “that date”. 

I hope you carry on feeling as well as you are for as very long as possible. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Bob,

First of all, the doctors have seen more patients in your condition than we've had hot dinners - they know what they're talking about. Secondly, the scans don't lie. Thirdly, a good dose of denial is a perfectly good way to handle a nightmare situation - provided you don't let it get in the way of your treatment.

For what it's worth, 6 years ago I had a tumour with a central mass the size of a golf ball in one lung, a scattering of dodgy spots in both lungs, well enlarged lymph nodes between my lungs, and I felt super-fit with good sessions of power lifting, steady body weight, no feelings of illness at all. It was only the spread to a brain tumour that kicked off any symptoms and I was given a 6 month prognosis.

The good news is that you've picked a brilliant time to come down with this. The treatments available these days would have seemed like science fiction a few years ago, and more are getting approval. If I had been 5 years sooner I wouldn't be here today, but as it is I'm now a year cancer free so far.

kind regards,
    Steve

• Brilliant Steve,

I think that is exactly what I needed to hear from someone with the relevant experience. You put it all into perspective for me.

Thanks Again,
    Bob