Recurrant

• 4 replies
  • 103 subscribers

Hi  , I had keyhole surgery 5yrs ago but last year on my yearly check up they found a new growth " on the stitch line" as it was too small ,  17mm  , they couldn't do a biopsy but oncologist said as it was on stitch line it could be a cell escaped and it was starting to grow , I had 4 weeks radiotherapy to which I had bad reaction and my lung was inflammed so they couldn't see if it had gone so I was put on a 6 week course of steroids to try and calm it down , after another ct scan they could see it had shrunk but not gone , as oncologist said " it'll never go away " to have another scan in 6 months May / June .I was just wondering if a anyone else went through anything similar , how do you cope ,I try not to think about it but it's always there lurking in the shadows so to speak . Oh and yes I get  the "toxic positivity ' you'll be fine , you beat it before , your tough but you know sometimes all I want is a hug and be told " you are not alone " 

• Hi   I am sorry to hear your news, and can understand how worrying this must be for you. I think it is reassuring that they want to leave you for 6 months before scanning again, but I know this will be on your mind, as hard as you may try to put it to the back of your mind, it’s always there. 

My cancer is stable, but I know it’s still there, and it is so hard to carry on as normal.  I think people don’t know what to say to us, so we get the usual comments, that make the person saying it feel better but does nothing to help us. My pet hate comment is “ I don’t know how you carry on? I wouldn’t be able too !” As if this is our choice! Do they really expect me to big their ego up with an “of course you would cope ! “

You certainly are not alone, we are all here to support each other. Sending you a virtual hug. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Chellesimo , thanks for your kind words , I think we all have "  pet hate comments " mine is "you'll be fine " every time I go for a scan or to get results that 's the comment " you'll be fine " , this time being the third time I've had to beat it , I had breast cancer 11yrs ago though it and lung cancer are not related , as lung cancer was a primary . Yes 6 months seems long but I'm halfway there now so it doesn't seem too long , keeping fingers crossed it has withered and died and not grown , always clutching at straws . People that's never had cancer tell you " don't think about it " ha ha if only it was that easy,  though you try to put it the back of your mind it does creep to the front . Thankfully your's is stable but as you say you know it's there and that's the hard part of this disease/ illness people can't see it so assume you're ok when inside you're  not , I told nurses I was a Swan , when you see a Swan on the water it looks so calm but underneath the water it's wee legs are going like pistons  , that's  me on outside I look calm but inside I'm a mess  .

Sorry if I've rattled on a bit much but it's good to talk , maybe I should be Busby and not a ,Swan .

Night night xx 

• I think that is a very good description, looking like a graceful swan, but flapper away under the water. One friend actually said to me, “oh I thought you were over all that!” As if it was a cold. I don’t think anyone would actually get over having cancer, even if they are cured It will always be there in the back of our minds. 

I had radiotherapy, and my tumour kept on shrinking for the first 12 months after treatment finished, and although it is still there, it is asleep, and that is how it needs to stay! The only thing we can do whilst we wait for scans is hope, and I really hope that your scan shows that it has gone completely for you. X 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi , that gives me hope that your tumour kept shrinking for 12 months , it's now been 7months since my treatment ended so by the time I'm due for next check up and scan it'll be about  9 or 10  months , I haven't to see oncologist but I'm referred back to respiratory clinic who will keep an eye on it and like you I know it's there asleep as you say  , it's like an unwelcomed guest at the dinner party  , it's there but not wanted so we try to ignore it but sometimes it gives us a nudge .

That was a silly thing for someone to say " oh I thought you were over that " , how on earth can you " get over " having cancer ? It's not just in the body but it's in your mind and how it makes you feel emotionally as well as physically , I don't know about you but I hit rock bottom for a while but thankfully not so bad now , Ionly support I had was a friend , family ( one son ) just said " you'll be fine " they won't talk about it .

Take care xx