Newbie - Small Cell Lung Cancer

• 9 replies
  • 104 subscribers

Hello

Newbie here! My dad's been diagnosed with SCLC. We are all very aware it's incurable and treatment is the only option to give him more time. Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to cope? It's so hard to trying to make the most of what ever time there is left without getting upset all the time. The cancer has been diagnosed quite early and as far as we know its contained and he is due to start chemo next week. Is there any tips on what to expect with this treatment or how I keep a positive mind set for myself and family.

Any advice much appreciated 

• Hi Louise

So very sorry that you have cause to be on here.

Have you been formally advised that it is 'incurable'?  I only ask this as, if the SCLS is being described as 'contained', this means in SCLC terms it is 'Limited' i.e it is only in the one lung and has not spread beyond the lung.  In addition, the SCLC has been caught early.

As a SCLC survivor, this all sounds quite positive.  

Chemotherapy can often bring good results for SCLC in terms of shrinking the tumour.  If this is the case, then Dad could be prescribed a course of Radiotherapy to target the remaining (and smaller) tumour.

Cancer treatment has come on in leaps and bounds over the last couple of decades, and is no longer the automatic death sentence it once was.  Sadly, web searches such as Google etc, do not accurately reflect this.

You haven't said how old dad is,or if he has other significant health issues; all of which could/would impact on the treatment plan and potential outcomes. 

I wish you and your Dad the best possible outcomes.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • Hello Kegsy,

We have been told that it's incurable but treatable. The cancer is only in 1 lung, the words we were given was 1% of cancer and as far as the last scans its not spread and they want to start chemo in 2 weeks. My dad is 67 and had type 2 diabetes but other than he is still driving but has lost a lot of weight and lose of appetite. Thank you for your kind words and as a SCLC survivor this has given me hope!

• Do you mind me asking how long ago you were diagnosed? I would like to just give my dad some hope to push him through chemo.

• I do not mind at all; happy to help.

Diagnosed August 2011, had chemo/radiation roughly early October 2011 to late December 2011.

Got the good news that the treatment appeared to have worked on the last Friday before New Years Eve (2011/12).

Nothing since.

Hope this has the desired effect.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • Thank you Kegsy you have filled me with some hope! 

• Really good to hear this , my partner has been diagnosed with SC too but unknown primary.

• I'm so sorry to hear about your partner it's really devasting news. I have found some sense of comfort from coming onto this forum and hearing how others cope and Kegsy has given my dad some sort of hope too! Keeping thinking positive! We are all in this together.

Sending love and prayers!

• Hi Louise, I was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer in 2021, I'm 52 years old, had chemo and radiotherapy which shrunk the tumour by 50% but started to grow again 5 months later, when I was first diagnosed they said it was inoperable but I've had two operations now and been clear of cancer. It is a very difficult journey but its not a death sentence anymore, don't Google small cell lung cancer  Theres hope now, keep positive, wishing you all the best x 

• This came at the perfect timing, we’d just stepped out of the doctors office where he told my husband that small cell was very hard to treat and that we should prepare for the worst, but your story here just gave me and him so much hope and encouragement.