Surgery date

• 36 replies
  • 104 subscribers

So after seeing the surgeon on the 29th of Feb, I have now been given my date for surgery for the 6th of March, so only a short few days to go now.  It will be a lobectomy using keyhole surgery, and lymp will be taken at the same time for pathology.  I have been given so much information by the physio and surgeon as to what to expect and I feel reassured about it all.  I would just like to ask if there are any words of wisdom and advice from others who have had this surgery, and if there's any helpful tips about post op that worked well for you ? Could you lay down in bed or better sleeping upright ? Getting dressed/undressed? Showering ? I'm about to get everything I think I will need for the hospital stay which I've been told is between 3 to 5 days, so really anything you think is a practical help would be good to hear about.  

• Good luck.We will be thinking of you .Just to say I didn t have any injections to bring home ? So I am not sure if this is individual again .Also not sure why I kept getting stars on missing letters on my last reply You are well prepared and you will be great

• Hi, just wanted to say good luck for your operation, can't add much, you've been given great advice already. I had my lobectomy 6 weeks ago and all I would say is walk as soon and as much as you can, it does help. I was breathless the first few times I walked up the stairs but it gets better slowly, every day. Hope all goes well for you x

• Thank you so much, I will definately be as active as I can, it's really good hearing about others on their journey that's a bit further ahead.  I'm currently waiting to be admitted,  there doesn't seem to be a bed free yet.  

• I had the same, no bed and had to go in the morning of the operation.  I remember talking to the anaesthetist and the next thing I remember was someone saying come on, I'll take you back to the ward now. The only other thing I would say is take the painkillers even if you think you don't need them, it makes it easier to cough. I hope everything goes well, do let us know how you're doing , good luck x

• Hope everything went well.Let us know when you are feeling better 

• Hi, I've read your post and the part about chipper at 6 weeks and back to normal at 12 weeks has filled me with optimism. I'm 6 weeks post op and feeling good but not completely recovered. I now know that hopefully in another 6 weeks I'll feel like me again, what a relief, thank you

• Absolutely, keep going! At six weeks, I was completely off painkillers but still tired more easily than normally. It’s amazing how quickly after that our bodies adjust.  The big plus now is that warmer, more clement weather is on the way and that is a big plus for getting out walking or gardening.

It took me a while to think about planning things again, I couldn’t see beyond the following couple of weeks/months. Once you’ve taken the cancer knock, it took me a little while to get my confidence and natural optimism back. But it did come back and was stronger than pre diagnosis - a big plus

x

• Hi, I think it has knocked my confidence a bit, I could feel it the first few times I went out for a walk and when I first see people, I don't really know what to say to them. Thanks so much, I know the future is brighter for sure x

• So, I can't believe I'm having to write this, but my surgery today was cancelled, I was admitted on Tuesday, had all the pre-op bloods done, swabs taken, blood pressure etc , forms filled in, medication noted, injection in tummy to prevent blood clots.  I was to fast from 6am this morning for surgery at 3pm, at 2.30 I was told it was no longer going ahead and surgeon would vontact me to arrange another date.  To say the ground went from beneath me is an understatement and I just crumbled and couldn't speak for crying.  The mental strength you need to prepare yourself for surgery is enormous, and after all the weeks of tests and appointments to finally be at the point of treatment only to have that pulled away at the last minute is so hard to deal with.  I am so down tonight, I'm back home now totally deflated just processing it all.  I'm just so low with it all. 

• Oh no! That’s very tough, especially having to wait most of the day in anticipation. Sending you a big virtual hug. I hope your date is reorganised very quickly.

Steph x