Surgery date

• 36 replies
  • 104 subscribers

So after seeing the surgeon on the 29th of Feb, I have now been given my date for surgery for the 6th of March, so only a short few days to go now.  It will be a lobectomy using keyhole surgery, and lymp will be taken at the same time for pathology.  I have been given so much information by the physio and surgeon as to what to expect and I feel reassured about it all.  I would just like to ask if there are any words of wisdom and advice from others who have had this surgery, and if there's any helpful tips about post op that worked well for you ? Could you lay down in bed or better sleeping upright ? Getting dressed/undressed? Showering ? I'm about to get everything I think I will need for the hospital stay which I've been told is between 3 to 5 days, so really anything you think is a practical help would be good to hear about.  

• Hi there,

great you’ve got a surgery date and that your team have been able to reassure you.

I found it easier to sleep raised at first.  I usually sleep on my side but that was too uncomfortable. I bought a cheap wedge pillow from Amazon and put my pillows on top and that served me well just after surgery.

The surgical dressings are usually waterproof and they can stay on for a few days at a time so showering shouldn’t be a problem.  I was given a couple of spares just in case. The drain wound in my case was a bit longer to heal than the other 2 openings.

Time to burn your bras if you haven’t already! Soft sports bras are probably the best option- I found some very soft options that you can literally pull over your head from Sloggi if you’re not comfortable going without.

I was discharged with 28 day clot busting injections - I gather this is the norm now. The first one was the most difficult and after that I just made a note to alternate the sides I used so that I wasn’t constantly sticking the same side. 6 weeks after my op I had another minor procedure with an overnight stay and the nurse just handed me my injection to do myself lol!

Rest up too you’ll need time to recover.  I felt pretty reasonable after a couple of weeks, chipper after 6 weeks and completely recovered after 12.  Remember it’s not always linear there are good days and sometimes not so good days so be gentle with yourself in the first weeks. The first week, I took the painkillers on time whether I needed them or not.

Can’t think of anything else right now. All the very best for Wednesday 

Steph x

• I had a lobectomy and I would have liked the advice you have had so far it’s great !The only things I will add are be careful with your drain it’s heavy and attached to you so it goes everywhere witStar2you.Make sure someone checks it’s wound (the drain) as mine got infected as no one had checked it and I got an infection from it but nobody else got an infection so I think just a bit unlucky with iStar2The nurses were great I just didn’t t know to ask for it to be checked . Also you get  t given a lot of strong drugs because the priority is to get you up and about but if it goes over your 4 hours Star2’s quite painful so bear that in mind For me I knew I had to take them but I don t like to take a lot of pills Also they do give you anti sickness tablets if this happens Just bear in mind everyone Star2 different so your time can be anything from 2- 11 days dependant on your condition so don t set a time on your recovery The one brilliant thing I got which was so simple is the physio gave me a fatStar2traw in a big cup and said blow bubbles it was amazing how this helped , You can shower when you get home and I wanted to get dressed as I had been in hospital 10 days and I wanted to get up and aboStar2 but do as much as you can but be good to yourself as well, it is quite a long road to recovery and get walking as soon as you can I bought the same from Amazon a v shaped support pillow Also if youStar2on t usually sleep on your back and are usually quite active make sure you check to change your positioning as you get dry skin from sitting too long.This is all very individual but if one thing helStar2 it’s worth it! Good luck with your op Star2It’s amazing how easy they do it now ,we even had one person who had a robot doing hers !

• Great advice, thank you for that, I had thought ahead regarding extra support when sitting and in bed so I have an orthopaedic v shaped pillow on its way to me.  I have been told about the super dooper pain relief and the necessity for it, I also don't like taking pills, but know its important to be mobile.  So, when you say you can shower when you get home? Does that mean you don't shower in hospital ? Surely they can't let you go days without showering, I usually shower morning and night.  I suppose while drain is in then it can't get wet ? Oh dear, flannel it is then . 

• Hi, good to hear from you again.  I am so glad to have a date now, it felt like forever getting to this point of treatment, I have pre-op tomorrow but don't envisage any problems so should be all good for go ahead Wednesday.  I only ordered a v shaped pillow, but a wedge sounds a great idea for using in my bed at home. I very rarely wear a normal bra anymore and find sport bras with no metal fastenings the way forward so I have just got a few more of them, hopefully they don't sit where wounds will be, if that's the case then I will just be free and easy.  Were you able to get tops on over your head ok? 

I've not been told about anti clotting injections , so you have to inject yourself ? For 28 days ? Eeeeekkk ! 

• You’ll be able to shower as soon as the drain is out and the wound can be covered with a surgical dressing. Mine came out about 48h post surgery so I took a shower before I came home. It all depends on whether the drain can come out. The dressings I was given are designed to be left on for a few days.

• Ah, that makes total sense, no showering until drain is out.  And also thanks for the top tip of taking painkillers on time regardless if you feel you need them or not.  X

• Yes you should be able to get tops over your head, although I do remember a sweary moment when the stretchy pull on sports bra rolled up completely under my armpits and I couldn’t untangle myself - that stage doesn’t last long!

They didn’t tell me about clot busting injections until I was being discharged. My husband volunteered as he thought it was just the once, but paled when it was clear they were giving me a sharps bucket and a big box of single use injectables. I didn’t find it a big deal to be honest - bit of a faff for the first couple but then just part of the daily routine!

• I’ll be thinking of you on Wednesday, keep us posted.

Steph x

• Lol, that made me giggle , sports bras are great  but they are made to stay in place and I've had similar situations wrestling with them.  And I'm afraid I don't have a partner to do injections, and I doubt my cats will understand the technic required lol, so thank you for giving me a heads up on that, much prefer to know ahead of time than have it sprung on me.  

• I sure will, thank you so much for all the information you have shared, it makes this journey a whole lot easier to navigate having others to talk to that are further along the road with it all.  I will definately update on how it goes.  Take care X