Ending Immunotherapy treatment

• 9 replies
  • 105 subscribers

Hi, I was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer just over 2 years ago. Cancer had spread to my lymph node and adrenal gland. I had initial chemo treatment but have been on immunotherapy treatment for 2 years but this is due to end in 3 weeks. My treatment has been great  never had any side effects and have remained fit and well, the cancer on my lung had shrunk and cancer has been stable for last year. I would be interested to hear from anyone about their experience after immunotherapy treatment ended.

• Gosh you have done so well!It sounds like your immunotherapy has been great well done you I had lung cancer but I was not well enough to have chemo etc after but they operated on me so different so Heart can’t really comment on that but I just wanted to say well done Heart

• Hi i was  on immunotherapy, prembo , i finished December 2019, in 2021 i had 13 sessions radiotherapy.

I did ask my oncologist what the next port of call, may or could be, if and when the cancer starts up, for me would be  chemo.

I had radiotherapy on my lungs though if needed else where, i can have it, though not again the lungs, Hope this helps a little,

• I’m very similar to you, diagnosed in October 2020 with stage 4 cancer in left lung, right lung, tonsils, lymph nodes in my neck and adrenal glands. I’ve had two lots of chemo and two lots of radiotherapy followed by 12 months of immunotherapy. 
    Currently stable since December 2022. My oncologist has said she can’t use the word remission as the beast is still there but sleeping. 
    There is hope. 

• When I said two lots of radiotherapy , it was 30 does to my neck and 30 to my lungs.  

• Hi, my hubby was diagnosed back in Jan 2022 with stage 4 lung cancer which had spread to lymph nodes and liver. He gad 2 lots of chemo for 3 months, one lot of chemo for 12 months and has just had his last treatment of immunotherapy. Like you not too many side effects, fatigue being the most common. He has been "stable" for 9 months with nothing in his lymph nodes or liver and the tumor is now too small to measure (it was 5.5cm). The consultant says they never use the word remission for lung cancer and just say its stable. She said it will come back but they dont know when but further chemo  radiotherapy is an option whenever that may be. Now its xrays every 12 weeks to monitor. So for the moment its carry in and enjoy life but like you would love to hear from others further down that road to see how long that piece of string may be  wishing you well

• Gosh this is inspiring- my husband was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer in December 23. He’s just had his 3rd lot of chemo and immunotherapy so we pray it works. 

• Hello 

my husband was diagnosed 19 months ago, had 6 rounds of chemo which did shrink the cancer but it grew back in 3 months.  He has just had 17 treatments of immunotherapy but has just been told it has to stop as there is growth in the cancer which really shocked us as it had previously shrunk so much. Strangely now things have become more complicated, his adrenal gland has stopped working and we have problems with his red blood cells.  The. Doctor thinks it is side affects of the immunotherapy.  He has had multiple blood transfusions and Ian iron infusion.  It was all wonderful but now has become more complicated….

• Gosh so sorry to hear that it must be devastating and disappointing for you having had what appeared to be all good news .It is a beast and the teams are brilliant at taming it .It seems they just have to find the right method for your type I hope this happens for you and your husband .It is very hard for you feeling helpless Good Luck