My mum has stage 4 lung cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 12 replies
  • 101 subscribers

Hi,

I found out just before christmas that my mum has lung cancer, which as you all know is the worst news anyone can hear. I was in a state of shock for a while but decided to try and be optimistic and strong for my mum. At the time when she was diagnosed she didn't 'appear' or feel unwell, but as soon as she started on her treatment the side affects have made her progressively more weak/tired/sick etc, which has been hard to see. I wish i could take the pain away from her.

On Monday i accompanied her to an appointment at the hospital...as I hadn't spoken to her doctor yet I had a lot of questions. In the end I discovered my mother's cancer is stage 4, that she will never be cancer free, and that the treatment will only hopefully shrink the growths/stop it from spreading and never full rid her of it. I'm so scared - i feel like it's just a matter of time until my mum dies? I'm 27 years old and can't imaging my life without her. I'm finding it hard to talk about with people as they don't really know how to respond to someone going through something like this. I also shut down or get extremely emotional at the thought of talking about it. I'm trying to be strong but its almost making me numb, or sometimes in denial. After this conversation with the doctor, it almost feels like there isn't much hope for recovery, and that it's only a matter of time? 

It would be great talk to anyone who's going through something similar, or people who've been living with lung cancer on a long term basis and if there is any hope for my mum? I'm very new to all of this so excuse my naivety.

Love x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you for your response anna, jennie, and i'm sorry to hear about your mums diagnosis' also. It's a tough thing to deal with, even when you're having a nice time with you mum you can help but wonder how many more you'll have or how long she'll be able to really enjoy things without being in pain.

I'm trying really hard to be positive, but also to accept that this is now our reality so we need to make her life as easy and enjoyable as possible. I went with my mum to her appointment and asked the doctor loads of questions which was quite a relief/reassuring as he gave me a lot of facts, and also explained that he has patients that has survived with stage 4 cancer for 10+ years. We also got my mum addition treatment for her side affects  which seem to be working quite well - i spent the weekend with her and she's looking/feeling a lot better, i just hope this lasts. 

I'm going to the next appointment with her in march - this one will her first scan since she started treatment. Fingers crossed we have some good news - at least if they have shrunk/not spread we will be happy. I will keep you all updated, as it's helpful to talk to you all. 

Thank you all for your kind words, sending you all positive vibes and love xxx

• I need support. I'm not OK. 

My mum is dying of lung cancer and I feel.like I have been hit by a bus ...

It was found after an accident at work she had to wait for chemo and then radio therapy..finished that month or more ago .. I live in Derby she is in newark ... well I had mostly daily talks ..her health dropped ...I took  her shopping on 26th Oct..she was so ill    then after 2 weeks my brother called me she has been in lying in own poo and so sick .. I demanded call doc etc ..next call call only 6 weeks to live .

It's not about me or anyone else..it is my mum ...I'm trying to take her worries away ..she has no property    nothing..but I'm trying to sort her bank etc..her wishes . They have blocked her from her account..barclays. what do I do ...I have to pay her rent ...etc look after her amenities.. until time ..I have arranged her funeral...her wishes .. help as I feel lost. And not much time left .