Biopsy results

• 3 replies
  • 73 subscribers

Hi, I had a rigid bronchoscopy  2 weeks ago, and met with the respiratory  doctor today to get my results, the results show  i have lung  cancer, which started in my left bronchi but it hasn’t spread,  my heads all over the place and I can’t remember the name she gave it, I am being referred to a thoracic surgeon for a complete lung removal, which terrifies but should cure me, has anyone been through this procedure and tell me a bit more about what to expect, I think it’s called a pneumonectomy

• Hello Solo19,

I'm sorry you find yourself here, it really is terrifying. I can remember being in your position a long time ago and the memory is still quite vivid. 

I had a right pneumonectomy 10 years ago (10th June 2014 was my operation date). I had surgery on Tuesday and was discharged Sunday. It's a major operation but I found I did recover very well over a couple of months (I was 57 at the time). The main piece of advice I would give is to follow through on everything recommended including exercises (I was given these by a physiotherapist) and walking (not that easy in the early days but if gradually built up it should be possible to walk quite long distances within several weeks - I was up to 6 miles before long).

You will find it different breathing with one lung at first for obvious reasons but after a while it becomes the new normal - I can't do a sprint race but hardly notice any difference at all for most activities including playing golf.

Surgery really is the best possible way to a cure if you're lucky enough to be able to have it. I'm sure you'll be fine and your outlook, which may be frightning right now, really is good.

There will probably be all sorts of things you think about, anything specific you would like to ask go ahead and I'll try my best to answer.

I wish you all the success I've been fortunate to experience.

Derek.

Made in 1956. Tested to destruction.
  • Hi Derek,

thank you for your message, it has been a comfort to hear of your success. I feel very lucky to be able to have this surgery but also terrified at the same time, so it’s really good to hear you are doing well, I’ve  got pre op tests and meet the surgeon over the next few weeks, then I’ll be given a surgery date. Once I’ve got my head around it I’ll  probably have a few questions, 

• Feel free to ask anything you like.

I was terrified too, but afterwards I felt most of my worst fears were unfounded.

All the best.

Made in 1956. Tested to destruction.