Options / hope

• 1 reply
  • 68 subscribers

Hi all, would really appreciate any thoughts , insight or experiences.

My grandad was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer June 2023, he is 77 but prior to diagnosis was very fit and well, performance status zero. His treatment plan was to have Cisplatin and Pemetrexed (chemotherapy) and Pembrolizumab (Immunotherapy).

He tolerated a number of cycles but then got a couple of infections at once and was very poorly. Upon discharge from hospital he was told they would reduce the strength of the chemotherapy to see if he could tolerate this better. However, at his appointment they said they had stopped the chemotherapy and said he could only have immunology.

CT scan in September 2023 - disease was stable

CT scan in December 2023 - disease had responded to treatment

Within the last few weeks he has appeared more fatigued but has also been doing more such as going out all day etc, which he could not do on chemo.

CT scan on the 27th March 2024, I requested the report and it states increase in size and number of lung nodules, subtle emphysematous changes and there is evidence of steady but definite disease progression.

We are waiting to see the consultant in 2 weeks time. We are scared they will pull treatment options altogether or be less likely to support due to his age, as we have had none stop comments like "at least he has had a good life and nearly 80".

I would appreciate any advice / support on other treatment options, what has worked for others or any other places we could get a second opinion or look into anything else?

• Hi   I am sorry to hear about your grandfather. It would be impossible for any of us to comment about his treatment, and the possibility that the consultant may stop it due to disease progression. I really do not think that treatment would be stopped due to age, it will only be stopped if they think it is not working anymore, or if the persons health is too poor to continue. I am sorry you have had people make such inappropriate comments about your grandfathers age, some people are so insensitive.

If grandads treatment is stopped, and you feel that you want a 2nd opinion, then do ask the oncologist. This is quite a common thing, and something they are very used too. They can arrange for grandad to be seen by another oncologist and it is his right to ask for a 2nd opinion. 
    If the oncologist says that all treatments have been exhausted, then you can ask if there are any medical trials that may be available. There are certain criteria’s that need to be met to take part in trials, but this may be an option. 

Good luck for the appointment. Please let us know how he gets on. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge