Dad has lung cancer and it has spread

• 2 replies
  • 69 subscribers

Hi,

Dad had his first oncology appointment today. It wasn't good news. He has some lumps around his diaphragm and stomach and one in his neck which makes it hard for him to swallow. He seems to be getting sick pretty quickly. 

They are taking him in next week to try and get a biopsy of the lump in his neck and if it's too small they will put a camera down on Tuesday to get a sample of it that way. 

As far as I know so far, he will receive chemo and radiotherapy to try and prolong his life a little. 

I'm not sure how much this will give us in time. 

Not sure how to process this news and how to help my mum and dad through this. But I will be there as much as I can for them 

I'm scared. And I am going to have to share with my kids that their Grandad won't recover from this

• I am so sorry to hear your family are going through this. My dad was diagnosed in January with stage 4 lung cancer that had spread to his liver, he was 88 there was no treatment and was told 2-3 months. It was shocking for all of  the family as he was really good for his age he walked everywhere and took care of himself. Spend as much time with your dad  and  mum, nothing can prepare you for this, and I am sending you and your family a big hug. X

• Thank you for taking the time to reply. My dad is 66. I don't think we've been told a time frame as yet. But that doesn't always go to plan anyway does it? We just have to make the most of what is still here. 

Sort you're having to deal with this too x