Radiotherapy

• 3 replies
  • 66 subscribers

I have completed all the tests and chemo and have had a planning appointment. I start radiotherapy Monday 25th March for Four five day weeks. The tumour is in the middle of my left lung and is non small cell which my oncologist said has shrunk significantly.  One of the side effects concerns me which is the oesophagus could get inflamed and cause swallowing problems. As I already have a stricture and am on asoft diet it is worrying me. Has any one had experience of this. I would be grateful for any help or advice please. 

• Hi  it is great to hear that chemo has shrunk the tumour significantly. I have had radiotherapy, I had 5 sessions over one week. I did have oesophagus burn, it is not pleasant. The only way to describe it, is it is like having sunburn on your insides. I found eating lots of cold foods like ice cream, ice lollies and sucking on ice cubes did help to sooth the burn. They also prescribed me some pain killers to help, but I can’t remember what they were, it was such a long time ago now. 

At each radiotherapy session they will ask you about any side effects you are experiencing. Do tell them everything, even if it seems small to you, because they can really help with advice. You probably won’t experience anything at the beginning of the treatment, as the radiotherapy builds up in your body the more treatments you have. This continues for quite some time after the treatment has finished, so be aware that you may feel the effects for several weeks after. 

I had a very good result from my radiotherapy, and I hope you do too! Good luck, keep us posted. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks for replying. Were you able to eat anything as I am on soft foods  due to my stricture If I can’t swallow at all the doctor has talked about a feeding tube. This really  scares me. 

• Yes I could eat, but it was sore. They advise you to eat soft foods. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge